Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass we only have 11 month because of statement date

micahbgibbs
Explorer C

We watch our Southwest Chase Credit card carefully to ensure we obtain companion pass.  We were told last year that all points accumulated by 12/31 will go to companion pass, we had it the last 2 years.  This year in December 2017 we were close and had 108,000 points on 12/4, but I looked at our credit card statement and we accumulated more than the needed 3,000 points with holiday travel, but because our credit card statement date is the 4th of the month, all points from 12/4 to 12/31 did not count.  We only had 108k points on 12/4, but received over 6k the rest of the month.  If I had known those points after 12/4/17 were not going to count I would have booked a hotel on rocket miles to ensure.  

Basically due to an issue out of our control with out Southwest Credit Card we will only have 11 months instead of 12 to get the points because our statement date is the 4th of the month.  This seems really shady and not right, last year we were told we had until the 31st of the month. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Companion Pass we only have 11 month because of statement date

franktravel
Aviator B

Program terms and conditions 

Points earned during a billing cycle on a Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card from Chase are not available for redemption or qualification for Companion Pass status until they are posted on your billing statement and posted to your Rapid Rewards Account. Only points posted on your billing statements and posted to your Rapid Rewards Account during the same calendar year are available for qualification for Companion Pass status.

All of your points earned from purchases after Dec 4th 2016 posted to you account in Jan 2017 a 12 month cycle. 

You our may want to see if you can change your due date to the 22nd of each month. 

Re: Companion Pass we only have 11 month because of statement date

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Also, keep in mind that all purchases made from December 5, 2016 to December 31, 2016 counted towards your 2017 point total because those points would have posted when your statement closed in January 2017, giving you a full 12 months of credit card spend counting towards 2017 points earnings.