Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass

veronicaE
Explorer C

Hello!

I am a about 45k points from getting my CP. I have a little under a month to complete them. 

I noticed hotels have pretty high points! Does anyone know if there is a limit on how many night you can stay? Also any pointers on how to quickly rack up points are greatly appreciated!

31 REPLIES 31

Re: Companion Pass

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

In other words, you have earned a little over half of the required points (100,000 total points required in 2020 after taking into account the boost Southwest provided) and you want to earn the remaining 45,000 points within the next 3 weeks.  I guess if you're dedicated to it you could get it done.  I would definitely consider the cost vs benefit, aka don't go spending $2000 on hotels when you will only get $1200 of value out of the companion pass.

Use this chart as your guide to see what points qualify and when they will post to your account.

https://community.southwest.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/What-Counts-Toward-Tier-Status/ta-p/83739/highligh...

You'll see that hotels (listed as Rocketmiles) do count and as long as you complete your stay in 2020 they would add to your 2020 CP count.

--TheMiddleSeat

shelbyusn
Frequent Flyer C

A better way to rack-up points is Rapid Rewards Shopping, you get real things and Christmas is coming.

Check out RR web site.

I am a Sailor

Companion Pass

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

I agree with the middleseat it's going to be a tough one without flying to reach those points along with other things.  I've gone the hotel route doing staycations when I'm down about 5-6K, not 45.  And as also mentioned, the credit card for everything you do...but going to be a tall order.  I wish you the best.  For your credit card, your billing date really can't be pasted the 26/27th of the month, as they may not post points until after Jan 1.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Also, if you haven't done any hotel stays for points, you also always have an opportunity to boost points by another 1-3 thousand.  So it's a good route, just gonna take you some work.  I just looked at a round trip flight and seen that even with business select, (and 590 bucks) I would only get around 7K points.  But could also get another 4k for the hotel points.  That's 11k and around 950 bucks before I add in my meals and rental car.  Oh also, don't bank on points from rental cars as you won't get them by the Dec 31 date.  And the hotel is hit and miss.  I've gotten the points in 7 days, and also had to wait 5 weeks.  

mikesouthwest
Explorer C

I was just informed by chase that the calendar year has ended on my last statement ending Dec 3rd. So Hopefully I was misinformed and I have until dec 31st the end of the calendar year. I was about $200 or $300 $`s off from getting my companion pass for next year.

dfwskier
Aviator A

Your statement end date must be in 2020 for points to count in 2020

If  need points, there are still ways to get them

flying, rent cars, or hotels

dining

shopping

mikesouthwest
Explorer C

Are you saying i still get points towards CP for 2020 until Dec 31st?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@mikesouthwest wrote:

Are you saying i still get points towards CP for 2020 until Dec 31st?

Read what I said again. Chase points will accrue thru every statement closing in 2020. For some people that is December 1 . For other it is December 31.

Statement closings that happen in 2021 will earn points in 2021

mikesouthwest
Explorer C

Are You also saying everthing i earned or earn the rest of dec is just a waste if all i am loooking for is CP for 2021? I thought calendar year means dec 31st. That really stinks.