Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Companion Pass

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@mikesouthwest There are plenty of other ways to earn CP qualifying points and have them post to your account before December 31. Maybe take a flight?

When earning via a Southwest credit card, the purchase date has nothing to do anything. The only date that matters is your statement date. If you have already passed your December statement date then you are done earning points for 2020 via credit card spending. 

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A

I received a secure message from Chase back in October with the subject: "Reminder: Companion Pass(R) earning deadline":

Reminder: Your annual earning cutoff date for Companion Pass® is approaching! Your December statement closing date will be the last date for purchases made with your Rapid Rewards® Credit Card to count towards Companion Pass for this year. Find out more information here.

The following message was included on my October and November monthly credit card statements:

REMINDER: Know your credit card's annual earning cutoff date
for Companion Pass. Your December statement closing date
will be the last date for purchases made with your Rapid
Rewards Credit Card to count towards a Companion Pass for
this year. For more details go to Southwest.com/rrterms.

This seems obvious. Points don't post to your Southwest account until Chase sends them to Southwest, and they do that once a month at the close of each statement period. Still, people somehow get tripped up by this every year.

Here's a great reference that shows in detail when points from various places will post with regards to Companion Pass qualification:

2020 Rapid Rewards® Qualifying Transactions for 2021 Status

shelbyusn
Frequent Flyer C

My understanding is you have until Dec 31st.

I am a Sailor

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@shelbyusn wrote:

This isn't true in all cases, and definitely not with regards to the credit card.

Take a look at the link I posted earlier, it shows the deadlines for all the various earning methods.

With regards to the credit card, you have only until your statement closes in December. As discussed earlier, anything earned after that closing date -- the point at which Chase closes your account for the month and sends the earned points to Southwest -- will count towards the following year's earning period.

Customers are able to reach out to Chase and have their monthly account closing date changed if desired. For example, if your closing date is early in the month you can have it moved later. But it's likely too late now for that to be helpful with regards to current year CP earning. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@shelbyusn wrote:

Yes for flights, hotels, rental cars, etc. The credit card however will apply any spending in December to the statement ending date which will be in January and accrue to next year's status.

You can ask to change your statement end date to later in December, but it may be too late to do that for this cycle. 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

BG07
Explorer B

Is this possible to still earn enough points? Through buying flowers for example? Or something? I myself am only 5,000 points from a CP pass. 

I think you linked this helpful info in another thread so it looks like the only way would be if I took a flight? As my statement close date was Dec 10 and I am still off by about 5,000.

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/eoy-tier-communication.html

Is the info in the above link on processing times etc not true then? As everything but flights seem like they would not work for me at this point based on the above

dfwskier
Aviator A

@BG07 wrote:

I'd encourage you to read the details contained in the link again.

There are numerous actions you can take in 2020  that won't actually put points in your account until 2021, and those points WILL COUNT towards earning your CP in 2020. 

BG07
Explorer B

Got it so based on this, the points even though they post in 2021 for almost all these things. They still count towards the pass?point into.png

BG07
Explorer B

That was just an image of the linked table. 

This other link does say this as well: https://www.southwest.com/faq/rapid-rewards-program-terms-and-conditions?question=rules_and_regulati...

A Member who earns 125,000 Companion Pass qualifying points or who flies 100 qualifying one-way flights booked through Southwest® per calendar year will qualify for Companion Pass. Companion Pass qualifying points are earned from revenue flights booked through Southwest, points earned on Southwest Rapid Rewards® Credit Cards, and base points earned from Rapid Rewards® partners. Points earned during a billing cycle on a Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card from Chase are not available for redemption or qualification for Companion Pass status until they are posted on your billing statement and posted to your Rapid Rewards account. Only points posted on your billing statements and posted to your Rapid Rewards account during the same calendar year are available for qualification for Companion Pass status. 

Wouldn't per calendar year mean anything posted into 2021 wouldn't work?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@BG07 wrote:

Got it so based on this, the points even though they post in 2021 for almost all these things. They still count towards the pass? 

Your linked photo will not  be visible until approved by the mods. If that's what the link FROM SOUTHWEST says, then the answer is yes.