Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Companion Pass

BG07
Explorer B

That was just an image of the linked table. 

This other link does say this as well: https://www.southwest.com/faq/rapid-rewards-program-terms-and-conditions?question=rules_and_regulati...

A Member who earns 125,000 Companion Pass qualifying points or who flies 100 qualifying one-way flights booked through Southwest® per calendar year will qualify for Companion Pass. Companion Pass qualifying points are earned from revenue flights booked through Southwest, points earned on Southwest Rapid Rewards® Credit Cards, and base points earned from Rapid Rewards® partners. Points earned during a billing cycle on a Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card from Chase are not available for redemption or qualification for Companion Pass status until they are posted on your billing statement and posted to your Rapid Rewards account. Only points posted on your billing statements and posted to your Rapid Rewards account during the same calendar year are available for qualification for Companion Pass status. 

Wouldn't per calendar year mean anything posted into 2021 wouldn't work?

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@BG07 How many different ways do want to ask the same question?

Refer to this chart: https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/eoy-tier-communication.html

There are some points that can be posted to your account in 2021 and count towards the points accumulated in 2020.

--TheMiddleSeat

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

@dfwskier On your behalf, yes I would say, "a calendar year" could be read as from starting point to the starting point, but in this case, it is not.  It's from Jan 1, 2020, to Dec 31, 2020.  So, very simply, any points you earn during those dates, THAT ARE POSTED, prior to Dec 31, will count toward CP.  Note, just because you might do something over the next 8 days that are countable towards your CP, if they aren't posted, they won't be included.  An example of that is a rental car I'm getting next week.  Although rental starts and ends in 2020, I won't see those 600 points posted until around FEB 2021.  Those points will go towards a 2021 CP.  So unless you have credit card points yet to be posted, as far as this year, you're done.  

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@SWFlyer007 wrote:

An example of that is a rental car I'm getting next week.  Although rental starts and ends in 2020, I won't see those 600 points posted until around FEB 2021.  Those points will go towards a 2021 CP.  So unless you have credit card points yet to be posted, as far as this year, you're done.  

This is incorrect.  Read the information I linked to in the post right above yours.

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Seriously people. Just look at this chart.

This is published by Southwest. It tells you exactly what the requirements and timeframe are for points to qualify for CP.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

Seriously people. Just look at this chart.

This is published by Southwest. It tells you exactly what the requirements and timeframe are for points to qualify for CP.

Why would anyone choose to not believe information about CP that comes directly from Southwest?

BG07
Explorer B

So would you be able then to copy the wording regarding the time-frame as I don't see where it states anything that purchased this year but posted next year works.

The table itself indicates that purchased this year does count toward the pass but the column right next to it is the posting date. 

As in another place on southwest own site it says: *Companion Pass qualifying points are earned from revenue flights booked through Southwest®, points earned on Southwest Rapid Rewards® Credit Cards, and base points earned from Rapid Rewards® partners. Points earned during a billing cycle on a Southwest Rapid Rewards Credit Card from Chase are not available for redemption or qualification for Companion Pass status until they are posted on your billing statement and posted to your Rapid Rewards account. Only points posted on your billing statements and posted to your Rapid Rewards account during the same calendar year are available for qualification for Companion Pass status.

https://www.southwest.com/rapidrewards/tiers-more-companion-pass

I guess the other question would be has anyone here earned a points had them post the next year and still count towards the pass. Outside of having to fly to do so at end of year.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@BG07 wrote:

I guess the other question would be has anyone here earned a points had them post the next year and still count towards the pass. Outside of having to fly to do so at end of year.

Yes.  Read the chart for specific categories and items that can post in 2021.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

Alright, maybe I understand the reason for the confusion.

CP points earned in 2020 go towards earning the  2021 CP. It jut so happens that the pass is issued as soon as you earn it - perhaps in 2020.

So certain points that you qualify to earn in 2020, that are not added to your account unitl 2021 do count as part of the 2020 earning process towards a 2021 CP.

BG07
Explorer B

Ok cool good to know, thanks for taking a moment to explain. I will then take some time to figure out how to earn 5,000 more points, so I can get the pass. Outside of using the credit card since my statement date has already passed.