Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Companion Pass

ok529
Explorer A

Maybe if the communication had been a little clearer, then this would not be happening! Jerk!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Hey @ok529, no need for name calling.

--TheMiddleSeat

ok529
Explorer A

Then don't tell me this is a stupid question and I should have know this 5 months ago. It is very clear that other folks had the same confusion. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

It's a bummer you misinterpreted Southwest's communications about earning a Companion Pass this year. What you misinterpreted isn't exactly clear to me, but that's not necessarily the point. I understand that you may not have been able to travel as much in 2020 as you had hoped, and yes it sucks that you just barely missed out on earning a Companion Pass for 2021. Southwest did adjust their requirements to compensate for the expected decrease in travel, requiring fewer points or flights to earn CP and everyone had the same 12 months of 2020 to earn a Companion Pass. I would wish you luck earning a CP in 2021, but it seems like you aren't interested. Safe travels to you.

--TheMiddleSeat

ok529
Explorer A

I am certainly interested however it seems this forum tends to be just an extension of the SWA company line, and not an actual discussion forum. My companion pass was earned in the air, and not through use of a credit card, which seems to be the focus of the company. Because of the pandemic I was not able to travel for 4 months last year which if that had not happened the Companion would have been renewed. My understanding was that SWA was extending the time to earn your companion to June. For years I have been a huge SWA fan however the last couple of years things have changed, and the Love it is certainly not there like it used to be.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

Sorry, but I am confused about what was misunderstood.

1) Southwest said it would extend CP earned in 2019 thru 6/30/2021

2) Southwest said that it was giving all RR members 25,000 CP earning points in 2020  in order to help compensate for less flying due to the virus. The rule has always been that one must earn enough points in a calendar year to qualify for CP.

3) Southwest lets one complete some tasks before YE, and the RR points won't show up til the following year, but the CP points will count towards CP in the year before the RR points hit your account.

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/eoy-tier-communication.html

ok529
Explorer A

This is a pointless conversation because apparently you work for SWA! By the way just look at the link you sent it confirms my point that Companion is a Tier!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Neither @dfwskier nor myself work for Southwest.  Southwest employees are clearly identified when they post.

Serious question... what on the page that was linked above shows Companion Pass as being a status tier?  I'm just not seeing anything that indicates that.

I did hear through the grapevine that some changes may be announced tomorrow that may help your situation regarding having more time to use your Companion Pass.  Hopefully that will help relieve some of your irritation.  Stay tuned

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

" The next tier in the Southwest program isn’t actually an elite status tier but is still worth valuing: the Companion Pass, one of the most lucrative and rewarding benefits in the travel industry" 

-said the points guy

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/what-is-southwest-elite-status-worth/

ok529
Explorer A

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/eoy-tier-communication.html

What was referring to is the actual webpage name which uses the tier.