Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Companion Pass

ok529

I am certainly interested however it seems this forum tends to be just an extension of the SWA company line, and not an actual discussion forum. My companion pass was earned in the air, and not through use of a credit card, which seems to be the focus of the company. Because of the pandemic I was not able to travel for 4 months last year which if that had not happened the Companion would have been renewed. My understanding was that SWA was extending the time to earn your companion to June. For years I have been a huge SWA fan however the last couple of years things have changed, and the Love it is certainly not there like it used to be.  

dfwskier
Top Contributor

Sorry, but I am confused about what was misunderstood.

1) Southwest said it would extend CP earned in 2019 thru 6/30/2021

2) Southwest said that it was giving all RR members 25,000 CP earning points in 2020  in order to help compensate for less flying due to the virus. The rule has always been that one must earn enough points in a calendar year to qualify for CP.

3) Southwest lets one complete some tasks before YE, and the RR points won't show up til the following year, but the CP points will count towards CP in the year before the RR points hit your account.

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/eoy-tier-communication.html

ok529

This is a pointless conversation because apparently you work for SWA! By the way just look at the link you sent it confirms my point that Companion is a Tier!

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor
Solution

Neither @dfwskier nor myself work for Southwest.  Southwest employees are clearly identified when they post.

Serious question... what on the page that was linked above shows Companion Pass as being a status tier?  I'm just not seeing anything that indicates that.

I did hear through the grapevine that some changes may be announced tomorrow that may help your situation regarding having more time to use your Companion Pass.  Hopefully that will help relieve some of your irritation.  Stay tuned

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Top Contributor

" The next tier in the Southwest program isn’t actually an elite status tier but is still worth valuing: the Companion Pass, one of the most lucrative and rewarding benefits in the travel industry" 

-said the points guy

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/what-is-southwest-elite-status-worth/

ok529

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/eoy-tier-communication.html

What was referring to is the actual webpage name which uses the tier. 

ok529

Thanks to SWA for doing the right thing and extending Companion through 2021! The points and credits are really nice as well. Starting to feel the Love!

soxfan82

re: Ok529

I'd probably be saying that too if I earned CP in 2019 and was still using it 2.5 years later lol.
But for those of us who earned it in 2020, this means nothing.

rwrubio
New Arrival

Exactly. Not sure why those who earned the pass in 2020 are not also getting a 6 month extention.

Angelalynnp
New Arrival

I just got off the phone with them,  I am beyond upset!! Thanks for giving us 6 months of flying during the worst part of the pandemic!! They also wouldn't give me the other 6 months  because I was short 1800 points that came in a few days late.  I have over 170k points and I don't even want to fly with them if this is the way you treat your loyal customers.  I have had companion pass for years due to my loyalty!! And customer relations was RUDE about it! She told me I can't speak to anyone else and basically I should be grateful for the 6 months.