Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion Pass

kelszl
Explorer C

Southwest has the worst customer service ever. After receiving an email stating I have qualified for a companion pass then calling the company to only find out that it “was a mistake” and that they plan to do nothing about I.S. is extremely upsetting. 

So so much for having a “loyalty” program. SW has no loyalty to their customers. 

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Companion Pass

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Do you believe you qualified for a Companion Pass? 100 flights or 110k qualifying points earned in 2019?

Unfortunately mistakes happen. If you know you didn't earn a Companion Pass I'm sure why you would be upset about an errant message.

--TheMiddleSeat

SWDigits
Aviator A
@kelszl two thoughts:

1. If you share non-personal info like the circumstances of the error and/or how you feel you qualified for Companion Pass then the group of folks here may help provide guidance or experience for you to find a resolution.

2. It's April so you still have time to earn your CP. Assuming you do so through flights or points (not a credit card promotional offer) it will be good through the end of next year.

Customer | Home airport DCA

pagendenver
Explorer C

I got the same misleading email!

I just wrote to them to express my dissapointment as this is not the first misleading email I have received from them! Back in July I was told I had achieved A-List status and then was emailed a retraction a few weeks later. 

In both circumstances I understood that I had not achieved this status, but with this happening twice, I am seeing a trend. 

I am a loyal Southwest flyer and I stand by their product. I understand that mistakes happen, but I do think that they should take some sort of responsiblity here and give their loyal flyers some sort of compensation for their errant communications. 

For a company that stands by their awesome customer service, it only seems right.

SWDigits
Aviator A
@pagendriver thank you for your note, that is helpful context!

I'm curious to hear your thoughts about how you'd like to see Southwest respond in a situation like this.

My opinion, for what it's worth (I don't work for Southwest and I didn't receive email messages like you described), is that I would not expect to receive anything.

Customer | Home airport DCA

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@SWDigits wrote:
@pagendriver thank you for your note, that is helpful context!

I'm curious to hear your thoughts about how you'd like to see Southwest respond in a situation like this.

My opinion, for what it's worth (I don't work for Southwest and I didn't receive email messages like you described), is that I would not expect to receive anything.

Agreed, I also got one of these emails. An errant mail merge is not that painful.

If the status actually showed up on your account dashboard, and you were able to book flights, and then it was discovered to be erroneous would be a little more difficult of a situation.

Obviously incorrect email? Indicactive of a mistake in the email department but I wouldn't say the company owes me for that mistake - as opposed to damaged luggage or other real harm.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@pagendenver wrote:

I got the same misleading email!

I just wrote to them to express my dissapointment as this is not the first misleading email I have received from them! Back in July I was told I had achieved A-List status and then was emailed a retraction a few weeks later. 

In both circumstances I understood that I had not achieved this status, but with this happening twice, I am seeing a trend. 

I am a loyal Southwest flyer and I stand by their product. I understand that mistakes happen, but I do think that they should take some sort of responsiblity here and give their loyal flyers some sort of compensation for their errant communications. 

For a company that stands by their awesome customer service, it only seems right.

Compensation is normally paid when someone is damaged. How were you damaged?

I understand that you are hurt and upset, but how were you damaged?

SuperButtercup
Explorer C

I also received an email saying I had a companion pass last night.  I was very excited and started to dig and see how that was possible (I had been trying to rack up points, but didn't think I was that close).  After checking my account and doing some digging I realized that I did not earn it.  This made me sad, and dashed some dreams I had of traveling to some fun places with my husband, but not a huge deal.  I do feel that Southwest could send out an email to those that were apart of this error and say "oops, system error" or something like that.  That would save a lot of us time in calling Southwest or digging the internet to see if we truely earned a companion pass.  I do not feel I am owed a companion pass just for their system error, just some communication regarding the error.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Ugh. I can't believe Southwest let this happen again.

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@chgoflyer wrote:

Ugh. I can't believe Southwest let this happen again.

Was it early in the year last year too? I feel like it was also at an "obvious" stage of the year when many people won't have earned it yet.

This would be disastrous at the end of the year when many people are close and may make decisions based on seeing that email.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.