Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion booking my flight and then using companion pass?

cschuller
Explorer C

I am working towards a companion pass and should have it the beginning of April.  Four of us plan on booking a trip and I'd like to start securing the booking.  I have enough points now to book all 4 of us, but wondering if it's better to just book 3 for now and hope that the extra spot is available when we get ht CP or do I book 4 and cancel one and apply the companion pass when that time comes?  Just wondered what would be the better way of doing it?

Also, I've read that it's better to book one way tickets in the event we want to change a time/date.  Any advise as to that?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Companion booking my flight and then using companion pass?

KimVanderKley
Frequent Flyer C

@cschuller

Hi -- I am not an expert.. however I always book one way tickets... more flexibility -- downside more confirms to manange -- the trade off has been worth it for me ...  As for your first issue - I would book all tickets with $$ or Points to "hold" the seat on the flight -- however this does not gauantee that seat can be switched to the 'pass' seat if the flight load is tight...this can be tricky and may not workout but IT has a chance ( I have done it)  The C-passes are such a great perk -- I have been able to bless so many travelers who could not have gone and this way they do not feel it is a hand -out.  Great travels ....you are on the right path....

@16fseataFFBK

bec102896
Aviator A

Hello

i would recommend booking all of your tickets now and book the person you will make the companion on a separate reservation as it will make it easier later when it comes time to cancel the paid ticket and change to a companion ticket.

why book all now you may ask? Because if you only book 3 tickets and you get the companion pass the flight could be sold out then you would have no ticket for the 4th person so at least by booking the 4th person they have a seat. I made this mistake and had to move to a more expensive flight so my companion could fly free. 

another note I would check back after booking like every few days or every week just in case the price goes down on the ticket so you can get the points back in to your account or a credit for a future flight if booked as a paid reservation rather than points booking 

one way flights or round trip? I always book one ways just in case I need to cancel one leg or change I find it easier as one ways and on paid tickets I get my points after the one way is complete rather than waiting for the round trip to be completed so I can book more points tickets if needed without waiting for a current round trip in progress to be complete. Also another reason I book one way flights is because of the no show policy let's say I made my flight but for some reason I get marked a no show I wouldn't know until after I get off the plane and by then my return would be canceled or if I miss my outbound flight I wouldn't want to lose my return because of the no show policy. 

If you have any other questions about the companion pass just let me know and I would be glad to help! 

hope this helps 

Blake 

cschuller
Explorer C

Ok, so I booked 3 one-way for myself and kids and a single one-way for my spouse.  The spouse took the points from my account but does not show flight information.  Will she have to have her own log-in to see that ticket and be able to manage that ticket when it comes to using the CP?

bec102896
Aviator A

I would create a rapid rewards account for everyone so they can earn points on paid tickets of course the companion won't earn credit since it's a free ticket but if they travel alone they can earn points. You don't need a rapid rewards account to view her reservation though when it comes to the companion pass as you can view it with the confirmation number. When you get the companion pass you and the companion will always be on separate confirmation numbers so having a rapid rewards account for her will make it much easier for her to view the reservation and will make it easier for check in purposes since you won't have to dig in your email for the confirmation number since it would be right in the account.

Hope this helps

Blake 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@cschullerwrote:

I am working towards a companion pass and should have it the beginning of April.  Four of us plan on booking a trip and I'd like to start securing the booking.  I have enough points now to book all 4 of us, but wondering if it's better to just book 3 for now and hope that the extra spot is available when we get ht CP or do I book 4 and cancel one and apply the companion pass when that time comes?  Just wondered what would be the better way of doing it?

The backup plan for hoping one is available is that you'd have to fly the person separately on another flight, or all re-book - bad option!

Especially since a points booking has the points returned to your account when you cancel, so there's not much downside to holding a spot with today's prices with points.

Also, I've read that it's better to book one way tickets in the event we want to change a time/date.  Any advise as to that?

There's no financial penalty to book one-ways, along with many upsides. The downside may be to keep track of multiple confirmation numbers, but otherwise there are a lot of flexibilities, especially if you cancel or change your flights very often.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.