Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion pass and time line for points posting

member5687
Explorer C
I am learning about the companion pass and I need clarification from the community. I wrongfully assumed that the points earned were cumulative and carried over to the next year for a running total. This is incorrect I believe. The points that qualify must be earned in one calendar year and posted to Southwest in one year. I heard about the companion pass from a friend of mine and I applied and received two credit cards from Chase for Southwest Rapid Rewards credit card. The Premier personal card offered 40,000 points when you spent $1000 on purchases in the first three months. The Premier Business card offered 60,000 points when you spent $3,000 in the first three months. These points qualify for the companion pass. Here is my mistake. I received the cards in early November 2019. I used the Premier Personal card to pay for hearing aids which was $7000 on Nov. 11 , 2019. The payment is due Dec 7, 2019. The question is when does Chase send the points information to Southwest who then post them to my account? If I delay payment until December 15th or so would they be posted to Southwest in 2020. I will not use the Premier Business until 2020 to earn the 60,000 points. If someone knows the time frame of points posting to the Southwest account please let me know. Thanks.
1 REPLY 1

Re: Companion pass and time line for points posting

elijahbrantley
Aviator A
Solution

The points should post to your SW account within a day (in my experience) if the statement where you met the spend requirement closing! So your 40k from the personal should definitely count within 2019 for qualification for having CP in 2020. Your statement will show the points you receive, and then you will be able dm to see them in your RR account. 

If you wait to use the business card, those points will post next year, of course, and will count towards the next year if CP qualification (2021). 

Hope that helps! Good luck. 

-A List, Companion Pass holder