Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Companion pass extension not really an extension...

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@gsking wrote:

You're unintentionally complaining about most benefit programs in general, the minimum wage,  progressive income tax,  and the welfare gap. 

People less well off than you can't get a "free" benefit without you feeling it reduces the value of your benefit.   No,  it didn't reduce the value of your benefit, it just reduced the value of your FREE bonus... that you didn't really need. 

The intent is to help out people adversely affected by the pandemic.   You don't seem to be affected.   So don't complain you didn't get your "fair share".  You don't get welfare payments and food stamps either. 

Sure, I'm less motivated to earn my CP for next year.   But if I get it, I didn't "lose" anything.   

I have a better idea.   Punish SWA by actually USING your CP.  Book plenty of flights,  and get the second one free,  and keep the flights booked.   That's what I'm doing.   I'm milking every drop out of my CP that I can.   I'm about to take off right now. 

And I'm helping keep SWA employees off welfare, so there's that. 

Southwest's accommodation (an extension of Companion Pass validity period) is made presumably because of the reduced ability for it's use, due to the pandemic. This applies to all CP holders. Those who already qualified this year suffer from the same reduced ability to use their CP as those who did not, but only the latter are receiving an extension accommodation.

gsking
Aviator C

@chgoflyer wrote:

Southwest's accommodation (an extension of Companion Pass validity period) is made presumably because of the reduced ability for it's use, due to the pandemic. This applies to all CP holders. Those who already qualified this year suffer from the same reduced ability to use their CP as those who did not, but only the latter are receiving an extension accommodation.

Ah, my favorite contrarian... arguing no matter what I say.  I'll reply to the OP, since you want to be his ombudsman.   

No, they are not.   You get to use your pass LONGER than they do.   Six months longer.   

I'll assume you get the analogies.   They are quite easy to understand. 

And I'm actually flying MORE now and getting more use out of my pass.   So... should SWA restrict me because my benefits are better than yours?   You seem to be hellbent on comparing your freebies to others. 

Since you appear to be  someone who was able to charge $100,000 in six months or so,  I don't think many of us are going to have sympathy for your first world problems. 

Let's take your logic to the extreme.   You seem to be able to easily get CP every year.   Since everyone else got six months free, and point credit,  do you expect a voucher for the same that doesn't expire, that you can use the first year you DON'T qualify for CP?  Because otherwise, you'd didn't get the same benefits, right? 

That is indeed what you're asking for, even if you don't realize you are. 

I'll try to let you speak for yourself.   Your little argumentative sidekick isn't very good at it. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@gsking wrote:

@chgoflyer wrote:

Ah, my favorite contrarian... arguing no matter what I say.  I'll reply to the OP, since you want to be his ombudsman.   

No, they are not.   You get to use your pass LONGER than they do.   Six months longer.   

I'll assume you get the analogies.   They are quite easy to understand. 

And I'm actually flying MORE now and getting more use out of my pass.   So... should SWA restrict me because my benefits are better than yours?   You seem to be hellbent on comparing your freebies to others. 

Since you appear to be  someone who was able to charge $100,000 in six months or so,  I don't think many of us are going to have sympathy for your first world problems. 

Let's take your logic to the extreme.   You seem to be able to easily get CP every year.   Since everyone else got six months free, and point credit,  do you expect a voucher for the same that doesn't expire, that you can use the first year you DON'T qualify for CP?  Because otherwise, you'd didn't get the same benefits, right? 

That is indeed what you're asking for, even if you don't realize you are. 

I'll try to let you speak for yourself.   Your little argumentative sidekick isn't very good at it. 

[ It's probably a good time for a reminder about respecting community rules, such as avoiding personal attacks. ] 😉

I'm sorry that I seem to have upset you again. That's really not my intent.

I was hoping with my last post to state, clearly and simply, the viewpoint of those CP holders who aren't receiving an accommodation, in order for the logic of their argument to be more easily understood.

I guess I failed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ultimately, regardless of logical fallacies, it's ok to have differing viewpoints on a particular topic.

Rudeness and personal attacks however are never appropriate.

dluna11w
Explorer C

When someone earns the companion pass, it doesn't mean they spend $100,000 in 6 months.  Your analogies aren't even close.  My wife and I each earned the companion pass so our 2 kids could fly free.  It's how we are able to afford the trips we take.  We didn't get to go anywhere this summer because of the pandemic.  It would be great to be able to use the pass in 2021 and summer 2022 since we weren't able to during the summer of 2020.

ksbrg
Employee
Employee

@gsking wrote:

I'm about to take off right now. 

Enjoy your flight!

mb2much
Explorer C

@gsking wrote:

You're unintentionally complaining about most benefit programs in general, the minimum wage,  progressive income tax,  and the welfare gap. 

People less well off than you can't get a "free" benefit without you feeling it reduces the value of your benefit.   No,  it didn't reduce the value of your benefit, it just reduced the value of your FREE bonus... that you didn't really need. 

The intent is to help out people adversely affected by the pandemic.   You don't seem to be affected.   So don't complain you didn't get your "fair share".  You don't get welfare payments and food stamps either. 

Sure, I'm less motivated to earn my CP for next year.   But if I get it, I didn't "lose" anything.   

I have a better idea.   Punish SWA by actually USING your CP.  Book plenty of flights,  and get the second one free,  and keep the flights booked.   That's what I'm doing.   I'm milking every drop out of my CP that I can.   I'm about to take off right now. 

And I'm helping keep SWA employees off welfare, so there's that. 

Why are you SO angry and how did you get to be appointed as judge of other people's posts? You have made lots of unfounded assumptions about what the person who posted thought. I'm not a mind reader; are you. I hope that you are feeling better now that Covid19 is starting to wind down!

gsking
Aviator C

@mb2much wrote:

Why are you SO angry and how did you get to be appointed as judge of other people's posts? You have made lots of unfounded assumptions about what the person who posted thought. I'm not a mind reader; are you. I hope that you are feeling better now that Covid19 is starting to wind down!

Lol, I'm not angry.   Stop projecting.

And all my comments are completely founded... on the pablum I read.   I'm not a mind reader, just a reader.   You should try it some time. 

And nope, Covid hasn't affected me negatively at all.   On the contrary, I fly more than normal.   I used my companion pass to go to Florida,  Puerto Rico,  Boise, Arizona,  and Hawaii... and that's just in APRIL and MAY.   (Montana and Mexico in June, but who's counting?)

Now, try thinking logically, instead of feeling your way through life.   No,  the rest of us don't go around angry like you. 

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee

Hi everyone. This thread has gotten heated, and I want to take a moment and encourage everyone to refresh themselves on our Community User Guidelines. We want all Members to feel comfortable sharing thoughts and ideas here, and we ask that you follow the Golden Rule and treat other Community Members the way you would like to be treated. Keep your tone positive and your comments constructive.

Nicole
Community Manager

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

One flight of multiple flights, a companion flight is better than no flight.  Even without an extension I'm happy SWA has this a part of their rewards system, otherwise, after 10 years, I'd be about 45,000 poorer. Be happy this program exists.