Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion pass extension not really an extension...

kretschmar99
Explorer C

So grateful SW did the right thing and extended my Companion Pass for 6 months due to COVID tohto 6/30/21, however now I have earned my Companion Pass for 2021 and they merely granted it through December 31, 2021.  Well then the 6 months they gave me is wiped out, of no real benefit!  I earned 2021 on my own, with a bunch of spending...even would have if they hadn't bumped me the extra COVID points as well....so the extra 6 months really only benefits people who don't earn the 2021 on their own.  The solution is to grant me 12 months I earned by meeting their spending minimum..so my earned pass would then expire 6/30/22.  I realize there would now be two expiration dates for their system to maintain overall, but I am sure their computer people can get it figured out.... anyone at Southwest agree?  

18 REPLIES 18

Re: Companion pass extension not really an extension...

SWFlyer007
Aviator C
Solution

I agree, but I doubt anyone on here can even consider giving you the restitution you are seeking.  Contact customer service and you never know. 

Contact Customer Relations

You can reach Customer Relations by:

Phone: (855) 234-4654

Twitter: @SouthwestAir

Facebook: @SouthwestAir

Email (don't have at this time)

The Customer Relations/Rapid Rewards Department is specialized to assist Customers with escalated concerns, most often following their travel. For assistance with booking and reservations, please instead contact the Customer Support and Services Team at (800) I-FLY-SWA. 

dfwskier
Aviator A

I've advised current pass holders to not even try to qualify this year.

Instead, qualify during the first 6 months of 2021 and the pass resulting from that action will be good for 18 month.

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

With no real end to the pandemic yet in sight, at some point Southwest will re-evaluate their current COVID accommodations, including the travel funds protections that currently end in September and other items such as Companion Pass extension for those who earned it in 2020. It's possible that they will provide something for those CP holders at that time. Don't bother writing now, you'll just get a form reply denial.

Jsmjeff
Adventurer C

I earned my companion pass for 2021 in April of 2020. Worked very hard at it. Have not been able to take advantage of the extra benifit do to the virus. I sure hope Southwest takes another look and offers an exstension.

Thank you

Jeff

WarriorsFan
Explorer C

I also earned the companion pass with the promotion on the SWA Business credit card in July 2020 that expires December 31, 2021. 

Unfortunately, haven't been able to travel due to the pandemic.

Does anyone know if SWA will extend the companion passes that expire 12/31/2021

kretschmar99
Explorer C

This is my first community post...I thought this was reviewed by Southwest personnel...my error.

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

There are some employees on here that can provide outstanding, UPDATED, advise.  But in the end, it would be a decision from in customer relations that would make final restitution on an issue like this.   Don't feel bad, I thought the same thing too.  

shelbyusn
Frequent Flyer C

Me too.

I am a Sailor

gsking
Aviator C

You're unintentionally complaining about most benefit programs in general, the minimum wage,  progressive income tax,  and the welfare gap. 

People less well off than you can't get a "free" benefit without you feeling it reduces the value of your benefit.   No,  it didn't reduce the value of your benefit, it just reduced the value of your FREE bonus... that you didn't really need. 

The intent is to help out people adversely affected by the pandemic.   You don't seem to be affected.   So don't complain you didn't get your "fair share".  You don't get welfare payments and food stamps either. 

Sure, I'm less motivated to earn my CP for next year.   But if I get it, I didn't "lose" anything.   

I have a better idea.   Punish SWA by actually USING your CP.  Book plenty of flights,  and get the second one free,  and keep the flights booked.   That's what I'm doing.   I'm milking every drop out of my CP that I can.   I'm about to take off right now. 

And I'm helping keep SWA employees off welfare, so there's that.