Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion pass if you are authorized user

Fro1
Explorer C

If I get the Southwest Credit Card and add an Authorized user to the card (Wife), Will she be able to use the companion pass? 

For example, if she has to travel alone with our son to visit her family, will she be able to use the companion pass for our son to travel free if she is only the authorized user and I am not present?

I aks this because her credit is not as good to get the Southwest card but mine would be good enough. 

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Companion pass if you are authorized user

basslaw2010
Frequent Flyer B

Based on your example, I would say no. When you get the card, you have to designate which Rapid Rewards account is the primary account (i.e., where the points go), your account, or your wife's. Even if you have multiple users of the card, all the points earned will still go into one account. So, if your Rapid Rewards account is the primary, only you will be able to designate a companion (if you qualify for a Companion Pass) to fly with you. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@basslaw2010 wrote:

Based on your example, I would say no. When you get the card, you have to designate which Rapid Rewards account is the primary account (i.e., where the points go), your account, or your wife's. Even if you have multiple users of the card, all the points earned will still go into one account. So, if your Rapid Rewards account is the primary, only you will be able to designate a companion (if you qualify for a Companion Pass) to fly with you. 

Concur. You might be able to make your wife's RR account the primary and yours the secondary so that she earns all the points, even if you are primary cardholder, that may be worth asking about.

Do you already have the credit card?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Fro1
Explorer C

I do not have the card yet, I was considering getting it though. Thanks for all the answers. I guess I can call Southwest to ask about your suggestion about adding her RR number to card. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I believe this would be a question for Chase as they tell Southwest how many points and what RR account to credit. They may tell you the primary account holder has to match the name of the RR account.

--TheMiddleSeat

huynhdanielle
Explorer C

Just curious...my husband and I are in the same situation. Did you ever find out from Chase?