Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion pass planning

mjwilliams021
Explorer C

First time using a companion pass. Planning ahead for the eligible time period in January and want to be sure there is room available. Am I allowed to fully book and pay for 2 people (me and companion) using a refundable ticket option, THEN once the eligible Jan period arrives, I cancel and add my companion pass? That was I know the seat is reserved and then just get refunded for one ticket and put the companion pass in its place.

Will this work?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Companion pass planning

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

First, unless you are booking peak travel time such as spring break, Christmas, Thanksgiving or have such limited service to the destination you are going to that availability is a legit problem, you probably don't need to worry about this.  However, some people do like to do what you are describing and "hold" a seat by paying for one either with a fully refundable fare (Anytime or Business Select) or booking with points.  If you buy a WGA fare and cancel you will receive travel credit, not cash.  In theory cancelling opens up the seat to be booked, but it may not always be returned to inventory immediately.  Another thing to keep in mind, even if the flight is 100% sold out keep checking it, availability often opens up closer to departure date/time as people change their plans.  It's not unusual to be able to snag one seat if you check often.

You can also check for seat availability by trying to book 8 passengers on a particular flight.  If the system shows you a price for 8 then there are at least 8 seats available.  If 8 doesn't work you can try booking fewer until you figure out how many seats are available.  Remember, "only 1 left" on a WGA usually only means one left at that price.  When you start seeing 1 or 2 left on Business Select fares that's another sign there may only be 1 or 2 seats available.

--TheMiddleSeat

chewbacca
Explorer B

If it was me, I would book 2 separate tickets.  That way, if you want to use the Wanna Get Away fare, you can, and then book a separate Anytime fare for your companion.  If the flight has available seats, it is easy for you to add your companion online, and cancel the original ticket online (make sure you do the same day, because after midnight, the system will automatically reject one of the conflicting reservations).

If it so happens that your flight is full, then you could call in and have an agent do the switch. 

Right now, with hold times and the like, I prefer to be able to manage everything online, if possible.  That's just my 2 cents.

mjwilliams021
Explorer C

I like that idea. Thanks for the info!

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@mjwilliams021 wrote:

I like that idea. Thanks for the info!

Buy the tickets separately - you only need to hold (you don't usually need to, but you may want to for comfort's sake) the companion's seat - your ticket you buy now and add the companion later when it is activated.

You don't need to buy your ticket "fresh" after earning CP status, buy your ticket now and just wait until you are eligible.

If you buy them both together it may be a pain to cancel only the one ticket. (i.e. calling instead of doing it online)

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.