Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion pass points

Tydaughtry
Explorer C

I am interested in opening up a premier credit card. With it is the 40,000 point bonus after you spend $1000 within the first 3 months. So my question is if I were to spend the 1000 before the end of this month would the points count toward this year (2016) or next years deadline?

I was confused on the wording in the fine print for information regarding Rapid Rewards as it stated that "Points earned during a billing cycle on a Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Credit Card from Chase are not available for redemption or qualification for Companion Pass status until they are posted on your billing statement and posted to your Rapid Rewards Account." In the detailed information for the credit card it stated to allow up to 8 weeks for processing of points. Is that from the time of purchasing over $1000 or the end of the billing cycle? 

Ultimately, I am trying to determine if it more beneficial for me to wait to get the credit card or if it would count towards January 1, 2017. 

Thank you. 

1 REPLY 1

Re: Companion pass points

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

You want to wait until January.  Because you want the 40,000 points to count towards the 110,000 needed to qualify for Companion.  When you receive the points in 2017 you are only going to to have to earn 70,000 more before the end of 2017.  If you receive the points now you would need to earn 70,000 points by December 2016.  Here is a great book that I wrote about how to earn and use points. 

Good luck! 

@ Amazon@ Amazon@ Amazon