Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion pass qualification cutoff dates

vscamp
Explorer C

I just ran into a snafu for qualification. I diligently kept track of my Chase statement and how points got transferred. Running tight for CY!9 I accelerated some charges to be inside my statement date 12/6, however my statement date unkown to me was moved to 12/3 because I changed the pay date to 12/30 (ignorance on my part) and the charges came thru 12/4. I spoke with Chase and they say they cannot or will not help.

Is there any higher authority at Southwest that I might be able to make an appeal. We were so looking forward to our requalification for 2020. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Companion pass qualification cutoff dates

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If I understand correctly, you have charges that posted on 12/4, but because they posted after your December statement date they will have a January end of statement date? In that case the points will not qualify for 2019 earnings and you will be short of earning Companion Pass. As it's up to Chase as to when they inform Southwest of the earnings, there's really nothing Southwest can do. It's time to work on plan B, last minute Business Select flights, hotel stays, and shopping through the Southwest Shopping portal would be good places to start. Good luck!

--TheMiddleSeat

SWDigits
Aviator A
No idea if it will work, but maybe see if Chase will change your statement date again for say Dec 15?

Customer | Home airport DCA

dfwskier
Aviator A

@SWDigits wrote:
No idea if it will work, but maybe see if Chase will change your statement date again for say Dec 15?

Credit card companies are willing to change statement dates, but typically NOT FOR THE NEXT STATEMENT. They'll typicaly start at the statement after the one that is about to happen.

Hence, a rule of thumb for anyone relying on Chase points would be to, at the start of a year, ask for a statement date  of say the 25th.

NicoleAshley
Employee
Employee
Solution

We're sorry for the disappointment, @vscamp. I recommend reaching out to our Customer Relations Team on Twitter  for a fast response. You can also reach them via any of the options in the Contact Us link below. They can look at your account and see if there are any alternatives for you to reach Companion this year. Thanks!

Nicole
Community Manager

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@vscamp wrote:

I spoke with Chase and they say they cannot or will not help.

Is there any higher authority at Southwest that I might be able to make an appeal. We were so looking forward to our requalification for 2020. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Chase has to be the first try. If they can't/won't make additional changes then you should consider other options:

1) Rocketmiles would be one option to get some big points right away. It's a premium over other booking methods to get the points, but if in your example you thought CP was worth $1000 to you, it would be worth spending some extra on a hotel room to get the points this period.

2) review the end of year guide to see some other methods of earning points that accrue in the year is the activity and not according to the statement.

3) make a business select points run - depending on your location make a day trip one of the upcoming weekend days, the 12x points are very powerful if you are in range for a couple of one-way flights to close the gap - plus you get the points right away.

Good luck!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.