Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion pass question

Kvainuku
Explorer C

I would like to book a flight for late in the fall while flights are fairly cheap. Although I am confident I should be receiving my companion pass within the next following months, should all continue as planned. My question is, will I be able to edit my fall reservations once I get companion pass to my current flights booked? I will be flying with the person I plan to add onto my companion pass in the fall. I am fairly new to all this. Please advise, thank you!

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Companion pass question

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Kvainuku wrote:

I would like to book a flight for late in the fall while flights are fairly cheap. Although I am confident I should be receiving my companion pass within the next following months, should all continue as planned. My question is, will I be able to edit my fall reservations once I get companion pass to my current flights booked? I will be flying with the person I plan to add onto my companion pass in the fall. I am fairly new to all this. Please advise, thank you!

What many people do is book the potential companion's flight separately using points. Then, once the Companion Pass is earned and assigned to that person, you can add their reservation as a Companion and cancel the points booking. That will return the points to the account used to make the reservation. As long as there is a seat available on the desired flight (at any fare level) they can be booked as a Companion.

Hope this helps!

gsking
Aviator C

@Kvainuku wrote:

Yes, as was said... book your flight normally, and watch for fare moves. 

If it goes down,  rebook and get the discount. 

If it goes up, and you're worried it'll sell out... lock the seat with Points.  

I had to do this once.   By the time I swapped it to the companion,  people had canceled,  so it wasn't an issue.   But I did get nervous there for a while. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@gsking wrote:

@Kvainuku wrote:

Yes, as was said... book your flight normally, and watch for fare moves. 

If it goes down,  rebook and get the discount. 

If it goes up, and you're worried it'll sell out... lock the seat with Points.  

I had to do this once.   By the time I swapped it to the companion,  people had canceled,  so it wasn't an issue.   But I did get nervous there for a while. 

I have also called and had Southwest simultaneously cancel the points and add companion if I thought the flight was full to the point where a self-service swap was too risky.

I have also been stalking an open seat at T-24 hours to add companion seat, there is usually some movement around that time when people get their reminders and have forgotten to cancel a flight or whatever other reasons. So far it always worked!

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.