Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion pass swap

TW
Explorer C

I am the primary cardholder on a Southwest Chase rapid rewards credit card.  My spouse is an authorized card holder on it.  Is there a way to swap her to the primary card holder of the card(and me as the companion) so that she would acccrue the points toward a companion pass?  She frequently travels with my daughter for figure skating competitions, so it would be nice to have her as the assighner of the Companion pass.  We could probably open a new card with her as the primary first thing next year, but it would easier to just swap the primary account holder.  Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Companion pass swap

SWDigits
Aviator A

@TW wrote:

We could probably open a new card with her as the primary   Thanks!

This, she should open her own credit card account. Note she will also get her own sign up bonus, assuming one is available when she signs up.

Customer | Home airport DCA

ZevSupport
Frequent Flyer A

I'd also suggest checking with your bank and maybe Visa to ensure you don't need to remove her first? Let us know here how it goes!

Community Champion | PHL based | ex-Companion Pass Holder | Southwest Passenger

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@TW wrote:

I am the primary cardholder on a Southwest Chase rapid rewards credit card.  My spouse is an authorized card holder on it.  Is there a way to swap her to the primary card holder of the card(and me as the companion) so that she would acccrue the points toward a companion pass?  She frequently travels with my daughter for figure skating competitions, so it would be nice to have her as the assighner of the Companion pass.  We could probably open a new card with her as the primary first thing next year, but it would easier to just swap the primary account holder.  Thanks!

Contact Chase and have her removed from the existing account. Wait a while (some reports say as little as 30 days, if you have time I'd suggest longer) and then have her apply using the correct link to get the then-current best bonus offer. Make sure she's under Chase's 5/24 limit (if you have opened 5 or more new credit cards in the past 24 months from any issuing bank, you will not be approved for a new credit card from Chase).  

Hope this helps!

TW
Explorer C

Thanks everyone!  We'll go with the new card for her option.