Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion pass when companion has a ticket

felecia28joy
Explorer C

Hello,

I qualified for the companion pass that is available to use 1/4/23. My companion has a ticket already in the system as a 'hold'. Do I need to cancel that ticket before I am able to add him on a ticket I have reserved for 1/6/23? I'm getting an error when trying to add him and I think it's because he has an existing ticket under his rapid reward number. I'm afraid to cancel his ticket if that's not the reason for the error. 

Please chime in if you know!

Thank you,

Felecia

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Companion pass when companion has a ticket

MamaP
Explorer C

I was able to add my daughter in this morning after a few tries.  (got the same error twice before it went through) At this moment she has two flights for the same day/time/flight since there were only two companion seats left on the flight and I didn't want to lose it.  

This definitely isn't as easy as last year 😞 

dfwskier
Aviator A

@MamaP wrote:

I was able to add my daughter in this morning after a few tries.  (got the same error twice before it went through) At this moment she has two flights for the same day/time/flight since there were only two companion seats left on the flight and I didn't want to lose it.  

This definitely isn't as easy as last year 😞 

When the SW computer discovers two tickets for one person, it WILL cancel one of them.

Which one? I dunno

MamaP
Explorer C

Me neither but I'm trying to work around this like everyone else.  I booked all these flights last month when there was limited availability.  I guess if I get stuck paying for them it is what it is, but the whole situation is super frustrating.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

No airline lets one passenger have two tickets on the same flight, so, yes, you will need to cancel.

Before you do, You might want to verify that the plane has seat availability. To do so start the process of making a reservation on the same flight - do it for 8 passengers. If it lets you do so, you should be fine just cancelling and then booking your companion. If not 8, you can check again for 4, etc.

If the flight shows low or no availability, you probably want to work this with an agent - as painful as that might be.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Cancel existing reservations the companion has before adding them as a companion.  No need to complicate things with multiple reservations.

--TheMiddleSeat