Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Companion pass

RJM
Explorer C

I recently have tried to deal with Southwest to renew my companion pass (Friends Fly Free).

In November of 2021 I had checked how much business I needed to do on my Southwest credit card to reach the 125,000 points needed, which is equivalent to doing $125,000 worth of charges on that card. I called in and spoke to a representative to verify if my purchases in December would qualify. He put me on hold and asked his supervisor and it was confirmed, that yes December purchases would qualify. I started using the card to reach the minimum purchases to qualify. During December I called in with a different question and while I had the representative on the line I decided to ask about the companion pass again. The young lady I spoke to had to ask her supervisor again and just like the first time I was assured that my purchases would qualify. In February of 2022 I decided I had better check on my companion pass, as I had a trip planned and wanted to be sure my companion would fly free. I was informed that my companion pass was no longer active. I then started the process to try and get this resolved. This was an ordeal that went through almost two months of the same old run around. Every time I spoke with a representative I noted the date, time and the name I was given in regard to my problem. I had also kept this information from the two previous calls made in 2021, when I was assured that my purchases would be included. Time after I time I was assured that they would get to the bottom of this and that I would get a response. Never did anyone get back to me until finally I kept calling and emailing until I got a hold of someone who could make a decision. Basically she was not interested in anything I had to say. She actually established that she had verified that she went back and listened to the recorded tape, that confirmed Southwest employees had given me incorrect information and she informed me that they would go through retraining so that this would not happen again, but it did not matter for my situation. She would not reinstate my companion pass. She quoted me the legal verbiage from their documents and said I did not qualify. Even though I had reached the $125,000 required it was not in their specified time period, by one day!

I explained to her that I had the companion pass for five years. I had made their minimum requirement year in and year out. I even qualified for the two previous years during Covid when I never used the companion pass. However she was far from friendly and really just didn’t care. I told her she was hiding behind a piece of paper that even her own employees did not know how to understand.

We ended that conversation and I felt defeated, even though I had fulfilled the requirements set forth by Southwest’s own employees. I had decided to just give up and never fly Southwest again, but I still find this ridiculous and I’m not going to let it go. I used to think Southwest was the best airline, now I realize they are just the typical money grabbing company who is happy to take your money, but not willing to stand by what is right, nor do they back up their own employees.

Shame on Southwest and very sad to see a once great airline become the Airline who doesn’t care about customer loyalty or customer satisfaction.

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Companion pass

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Due to numerous oddities in this post I have a very hard time believing it's real, but I'll go ahead and address the main points since they are valuable for all folks to know. 

First, after 5 years you don't know when your points from credit card spend post to your Rapid Rewards account? Points post shortly after your statement closes. If the spending you do in December lands on a statement that doesn't close until January then the points won't post until January.

Everything mentioned here is handled by Chase so really should be contacting Chase, not Southwest. Now is the time to contact Chase and adjust your statement closing date to be towards the latter part of the month so you get the points from December spending to post in 2022.

--TheMiddleSeat

RJM
Explorer C

Good Afternoon,

I appreciate your reply, however I am not sure what you are referring to regarding “numerous oddities”?

in the past five years I have never been close to qualifying, so yes I never paid attention to when purchases qualified. I apologize that I do not watch these items closely, because I never cared about them before. Obviously points clear at the end of the month, but I did not realize the year ends on November 30 not December 31. Perhaps that makes sense to you, but I was not aware of that. I assumed (my mistake) that the year ends 12/31, as did four separate employees from Southwest.

Secondly, you state you have a hard time believing this is real? I’m not sure what you base your reality on, however for me this is very real.

Thirdly, the legalize is written by Southwest. It is correct that Chase is the credit card bank, but the rules are set by Southwest. I did in fact contact Chase, however they stated the terms are set by Southwest and referred me to them. If you have some specific information that I may use to verify you are correct, I would appreciate any advice based in facts that I can use.

Thank you for your time.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@RJM wrote:

Obviously points clear at the end of the month, but I did not realize the year ends on November 30 not December 31. 

Still not correct as a general statement. As I said, points post shortly after your statement closing date. That date can be any day of the month and you will need to refer to your statement for the exact date. That date, when Southwest is informed of the number of points that should be credited to your account, and how many points that is, are all determined by Chase.

--TheMiddleSeat

RJM
Explorer C

I have read your replies to various posts. Most of your replies sound more like a company spokesperson than a fellow concerned customer. I appreciate your reply, however your information is not helpful. Perhaps if you get a minute you could check with one of the other employees and take a look at my particular situation.

Thank you for your time 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I don't work for Southwest and provided you with the facts regarding points earned from Chase. Were you just looking for sympathy from someone who doesn't understand how things work? Now you have knowledge and can be a more informed points earner. Enjoy your travels.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

@RJM wrote:

Good Afternoon,

I appreciate your reply, however I am not sure what you are referring to regarding “numerous oddities”?

in the past five years I have never been close to qualifying, so yes I never paid attention to when purchases qualified. 

Here's an oddity for you. In your first post you said (and this is a cut and paste): "I explained to her that I had the companion pass for five years. I had made their minimum requirement year in and year out. I even qualified for the two previous years during Covid when I never used the companion pass." And the first sentence of your first post was: " I recently have tried to deal with Southwest to RENEW my companion pass."

But above you said you " i have never been close to qualifying."

Which of the two is true?

dfwskier
Aviator A

You had a companion pass for 5 years and did not know that you earn Chase related RR points AFTER the charges appear on a Chase bill???

Really?????????

I don't believe that for a second. You've been looking at Chase statements and your RR account for 5 years - and you were oblivious?????

krafty81
Adventurer C

Wonder what the latest date for monthly payments would help for the “December Problem”. I was close a couple years ago.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@krafty81 points post a few days after your statement closes and has nothing to do with when payments are made.

--TheMiddleSeat