Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

CompanionPass Covid Bonus Points - I need them for May trip

nostresshere
Adventurer C

I know they announced on May 16th they are giving a boost towards Companion Pass.  I have over 100,000 miles/points right now.  We are trying to book flights for May and June but can not do the CP since these have not posted.

Any idea when these points will be available so we can earn Companion Pass?

FROM SOUTHWEST EMAIL OF APRIL 16th

"...we are giving all Rapid Rewards Members a "boost" of ...25,000 Companion Pass qualifying points and 25 flight credits toward Companion Pass status."

17 REPLIES 17

Re: CompanionPass Covid Bonus Points - I need them for May trip

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

I would book the flight with points and then once you are awarded the companion pass, you can cancel your companion's flight and add them as the companion.  I would probably call SW and have them do this, especially if there are only a few seats left on the flight.

nostresshere
Adventurer C

That is a possible solution, but if they do not bother to post the bonus until AFTER our May trip, then what?

I know people do what you are suggesting when folks are waiting for the credit card points to post which works fine because they KNOW they will hit a few days after the statement cuts.  In this case, we are waiting for Southwest to do what they promised two weeks ago.  I realize they have programming issues, but....

dfwskier
Aviator A

Then you will have to use points. You'll be able to use the pass later.

You did say you've earned 100,000+ of them this year. 

nostresshere
Adventurer C

As someone suggested, sure I could use points.  But why use them when it should be a free CP?  After all, those points will run out eventually.

And, based on the Southwest email, I have reached CP.

Yea, I know it is programming.  And doing those extensions of travel funds were a challenge. Adding 25,000 CP points to EVERY customer is way easier to process.  

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@nostresshere I hear what you are saying, and it is truly a fair questions.  But I don't know that I agree that you "have reached CP."  Because that communication does not give an effective date, and it also says, "these adjustments will happen automatically and will be reflected in your Southwest Rapid Rewards My Account page over the coming weeks."  

Until the extra points post, you technically have not reached CP.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

dfwskier
Aviator A

@nostresshere wrote:

As someone suggested, sure I could use points.  But why use them when it should be a free CP?  After all, those points will run out eventually.''

It  should be a free CP AFTER you have earned it. You have not yet.done so. Yeah, your RR points could run out - IF YOU DON"T EARN CP.

And, based on the Southwest email, I have reached CP.

You have not yet achieved CP. After SW adds your points you will. That has not yet happened, and SW did not promise when it would happen. It just promised that it would happen.

Yea, I know it is programming.  And doing those extensions of travel funds were a challenge. Adding 25,000 CP points to EVERY customer is way easier to process.  

Ah, where did you obtain your intimate knowledge of SW's computer systems to come up with that opinion.

Take the gift SW is offering after it happens. Until then use your points.

nostresshere
Adventurer C

Some interesting responses here.

* Have I earned CP yet?  Technically I have not.  But,  I have over 100k and SWA has indicated they are going to add 25k.  So, they have sort of said I have it, as soon as they can post the points - along with the few days to actually process the CP - which in the past has been rather quick once the points were in the account.

* Do I have intimate knowledge of SWA computer systems. Heck no.  But, I have been around systems enough to have reasonable clue on process to get things done.  Writing a program to make the exact same to change to EVERY account is not too bad.  Once you start adding variables, it gets more difficult and complicated.  Like the extension of travel funds which was not a blanket change.  Applies to any company.  Some are more difficult than others.

*  The gift from SWA?  Yes, it is a gift and I am thankful.  I would have hit the spend already, but due to the virus, certain spending is not happening.  (not blaming SWA at all for that).  And I will reach the CP via spending by June - which at that time the extra 25k will not be needed.

* There are a handful of other great things SWA has done.  Extending CP next year, or extending A-list really do not need to be handled right away. No timing issues.

* In the end, I was just asking if anyone knew when this particular issue would take place for those looking to travel in the near future and 100% will reach CP as soon as they post the 25k - or at least a few days later.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

Even if the points were to post in the next day or two, it might take some time to actually receive the CP.  That said, congrats for being so close!  CP is the best!

I expect that, like the travel fund expiration date adjustment, it will take some time for things to get loaded/processed through the system.  That ended up being several weeks with the travel fund adjustments, so -- as much as I hate to say this -- I would not hold my breath for this to get processed quickly.

As has been mentioned, I would book what you need with points and then adjust if you can!

Good luck!

-A List, Companion Pass holder

Matt4202
Adventurer A

You can add your companion within a day of qualifying, even though the physical card does not come for weeks.

But if I were in their shoes I would book the extra person now for at least May, then after CP is received (you'll get an email notifying you) contact SW to remove them from reservation and add them as a Companion getting points paid for them refunded. Best  Option