Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Congratulations, oh just kidding!

gacollier
Explorer C

I find myself in a similar situation with a similar letter. I've been a Southwest RR member since 2005. For the last 8-9 years I've managed to make it to A-List preferred with companion pass. Last year my flight points alone were 94K. This year I had a large project that has kept me in the office and I only managed to pull in 69,824 points, only 176 points shy of the preferred status. I didn't realize I was short until (4) days before the end of the year. A phone call to customer support and I thought for sure Southwest would allow me to reach the preferred status plateau if an arrangement could be made for me to fly the required miles in the first few weeks of January. Not the case and nothing could be done. Southwest no longer is the fare leader it was before in the market, particularly set against American for routes and time of booking. Many times I've selected a higher priced Southwest flight to maintain my status. This was explained to the customer service agent. To step backwards in status opens the door for other carriers to earn my business. I was very surprised that Southwest was unwilling to take action to prevent this and missed a great opportunity to return the sense of loyalty to me a customer of over 11 years over a simple 176 points. It is very much about the numbers and nothing more.

Re: Congratulations, oh just kidding!

Jhoaustin
Explorer C

I have been A-List for years, and preferred and companion pass for two.  Last year, I didn't take the extra flight that I needed.  I think it was 1800 points.  I worked up through Christmas, and couldn't force myself back on a plane.   I thought I wouldn't get it, then those emails.  I figured I had been wrong, and what a sweet surprise.  Wow!  I was floored by the apology emails that went to junk mail, for some reason.  Gee, that was BAD form.  I'm using every trick to get back to the same level, and get the companion pass back, though I didn't use it much.  When you fly often, it isn't as fun on vacation. I like the double points, and I will use them when I retire. A-List Preferred is the bomb.  Points just pile up.