Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Convert travel funds

bcamer001
Explorer C

I purchased 4 tickets which were canceled due to covid.  The other 3 people will not travel and I would like to convert them so I might be able to fly somewhere.  Is there anyway to convert them to to points or vouchers?  

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Convert travel funds

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

In 2020 Southwest did have a period of time when travel funds could be converted to Rapid Rewards points.  That option is no longer available.  Now, you would need to let the travel funds expire, then they could be converted to LUV vouchers which could be used by anyone.  The downside is you need to wait until they expire and then the value of each person's travel fund is reduced by $100 and valid for 6 only months.  You have 6 months after expiration of the travel fund to do this conversion.

Contact Customer Relations to request the conversion of expired travel funds.

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Convert travel funds

jksobonya
Aviator A

Hello,

At this time travel funds can only be used by the person named on the ticket, regardless of who purchased it:

https://www.southwest.com/travel-funds/ 

A Southwest LUV voucher, which is not the same as travel funds, can be used by anyone. 

What some people do is wait for their travel funds to expire, and then contact Southwest and ask for them to transfer the travel funds to a LUV voucher. This can be done on a case by case basis and Southwest charges $100 for the service, so it is up to you if you think it is worth it based on your travel fund value.

--Jessica