Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Covid Travel Funds Lose 2022 Eligibility After Rebooking?

HelloAll
Explorer C

Hello All, 

My family booked a trip for spring and cancelled in March due to Covid. We received our travel funds back and they currently have September 2022 eligibility. No worries there.

In May, we booked a trip for November with a portion of the original Covid travel funds. Since things aren't cleared up, I just cancelled that trip as well, but it seems the expiration for that portion of the funds is May 2021. Presumably a year after I booked.

Since these were originally Covid travel funds and they share the same travel funds confirmation number, is there any way I can get the recent portion converted back to September 2022 expiration? I didn't realize that trying to use the funds would accelerate the expiration of them. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Covid Travel Funds Lose 2022 Eligibility After Rebooking?

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@HelloAll wrote:

Hello All, 

My family booked a trip for spring and cancelled in March due to Covid. We received our travel funds back and they currently have September 2022 eligibility. No worries there.

In May, we booked a trip for November with a portion of the original Covid travel funds. Since things aren't cleared up, I just cancelled that trip as well, but it seems the expiration for that portion of the funds is May 2021. Presumably a year after I booked.

Since these were originally Covid travel funds and they share the same travel funds confirmation number, is there any way I can get the recent portion converted back to September 2022 expiration? I didn't realize that trying to use the funds would accelerate the expiration of them. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Unfortunately, flights cancelled after September 7, 2020 expire one year from the date of purchase, even if you used previously extended funds. I don't believe there's any way to change that now.

When you apply the remaining balance of those extended funds to a new booking, if you cancel, those funds will expire one year from the date of that new booking. Alternately, you can convert those funds, while they still have the September 7, 2022 expiration date, to Rapid Rewards points, which never expire (and are usable for anyone).

More info here

Re: Covid Travel Funds Lose 2022 Eligibility After Rebooking?

HelloAll
Explorer C

Thank you chgoflyer.