Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Credit Card Bonus Points - Timeline of Receiving Them?

Sillyna511
Explorer C

Hi,

I signed up for the Chase credit card during the offer for 50,000 bonus points. I understand that I have to make $2,000 of charges within the first 3 months, and the credit card offer details said it could take 8 weeks for the bonus points to be credited to the account. 

What I'm wondering is, what is the trigger for recieving bonus points? Does the system simply wait the full 3 months and then check to see if $2,000 was reached?Or will it be triggered as soon as I've made $2,000 of charges, if that happens within 1 or 2 months? And then I only have to wait up to 8 weeks from the time the $2,000 trigger is met? 

I know I will pass $2,000 of charges in the 2nd month of owning my card. I need to purchase flights for October travel. I got the card 2 weeks ago. I'm trying to determine if I'll waiting until as late as the end of June to recieve my bonus points, or if I could have them as soon as mid-May assuming I pass my $2,000 in mid-March. 

Or does anyone have input as to how long you actualy had to wait to get your bonus points? Maybe nobody has actually experienced a full 8 week wait, and they are regularly awared more quickly than that?

Thanks!!

11 REPLIES 11

Re: Credit Card Bonus Points - Timeline of Receiving Them?

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I can't speak to the 8-week (or less?) waiting period, but the trigger should be on the first complete billing cycle that you have spent the required amount.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Sillyna511
Explorer C
@DancingDavidE wrote:

I can't speak to the 8-week (or less?) waiting period, but the trigger should be on the first complete billing cycle that you have spent the required amount.

OK , thank you! So if I've had 2k in purchases by the 2nd billing cycle, I will be optimistic that it might triggerand start my waiting period then, instead of after the 3rd cycle. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

Yes, the bonus process should start after that second billing statement.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hi @Sillyna511,

Once the $2,000 spend threshold is met, it triggers the bonus points. However, the bonus points will not post to your Chase account until the statement cycle date. After that, it can take up to 30 days for the points to show up in your Rapid Rewards Account.

Smuckers
Explorer C

Will there be any notification about the bonus points being issued before they post them to the account? It's been said that it takes 30 days or so for them to show up in the account after the billing cycle shows you have met the $2000 requirement. After the requirement has been met, will there be a notification stating the points are "on the way"?

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @Smuckers,

Great question, thanks for posting in the Community! There will not be a notification stating points are on the way. For information on the status of your points, contact Chase Visa (they have visibility to your billing information, but we do not). 

markel201235
Explorer C

Hello,

My first statement closed yesterday and I met the spending limit. I emailed Chase as to when I should expect to see the 50K bonus points in my Rapid Rewards account.  Here's the response;

Thank you for contacting Chase regarding your Southwest
Airlines Rapid Rewards® Credit Card

I am pleased to share that you have met the required spend
the 50,000 bonus will reflect on your May 25, 2017
statement. And post 30 days these points will be
transferred to your Rapid Rewards membership number

To view or redeem your reward points, please visit
www.southwest.com or call Rapid Rewards Customer Service
at 1-800-445-5764.

We appreciate your business and thank you for being a
Chase customer.

So, is it most likely that I won't see then for awhile? My first statement only shows the amount or RR for purchases. I have found airfare that I want (price in $$ or points and times) and although I'd rather use the points for the tickets, I don't want to wait much longer just to have the price go up. May just pay cash for them if the RR bonus points aren't likely to show in my account for at least another month.

Thanks, Mark

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Chase posts the points on your monthly account closing date (generally a few days before your monthly statement is issued), then it generally take a few days (sometimes longer)  for them to show up in your Southwest account.

Sounds like Chase is saying they'll post to your Chase account on May 25 statement, so they should be in your Southwest account a few days after that.

FLBOUND2020
Explorer C

I got the Southwest RR card in July and nearly met the spending limit before the end of the first billing cycle. When I say nearly, I was short by 0.12 cents of my $2,000 limit.  On my credit card statement, the bonus points related to the amount of the purchases were shown to be transferred to Southwest.  When I checked my Southwest RR account, the points were posted within two days of the end of the billing cycle.  I made a gas purchase to spend the necessary 0.12 cents to complete my bonus qualifying purchase.  My most recent statement again shows that the 60,000 bonus points and my credit card purchase points were transferred to Southwest,  However, unlike the earlier billing period when I got the points right away, I am still waiting. Meanwhile, the price and corresponding point totals to book a flight keep going up.