Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Credit Card Offer

DBostick
Explorer C

So on our way home from Vegas Monday I gave into the kiosk sale of signing up for a credit card for the promise of 50,000 bonus points, "the best deal they ever give" according to the rep. When I got home a few hours later and looked online, the offer was for 60,000.

I called to ask why there was a discepency and was basically told it was on me an there was nothing that would be done about it.

So, if you're going to sign up for anything Southwest, DON'T!

They obviously aren't looking out for your interest, only the interest in their credit card partners.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Credit Card Offer

basslaw2010
Frequent Flyer B

It's truly disappointing that this happened to you but your displeasure should be directed toward Chase (the provider of the credit card) because it's actually Chase employees who offer the card at the airports, not Southwest Employees.

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@basslaw2010

No wonder why they are pulling tricks on some customer. Bait & Switch?

DBostick
Explorer C
Solution

This ended up being a comedy of errors, almost the perfect storm of bad situations.

I contacted Chase, they gave me even more bad advice, but eventually I talked to a supervisor at the call center that gave me a solution that, while wasn't perfect, has worked out.

Keeping an open mind and allowing the situation to play out was the key. I kept the attitude that if this didn't work out, it wasn't a horrible thing anyway and my life would go on.

I killed the, with kindness and things are finally worked out.

DfDrPepper_23
Frequent Flyer C

@DBostick

Amen!

Saps
Explorer C

The offer at the airport is for 50,000 bonus miles after spending $2,000 in 3 months.  It is the best offer for that spending amount.

The 60,000 point offer you are seeing is 40,000 for spending $1,000 in 3 months, and an additional 20,000 points for spending $12,000 in a year.  So if your spending will hit that plateau in a year, then yes, that may have been a better offer for you.

The airport bonus is great because you can combine that 50,000 bonus with the 60,000 bonus from a business card ($3,000 spend in 3 months) and get a companion pass immediately with no additional spend.

dfwskier
Aviator A

@Saps

The airport bonus is great because you can combine that 50,000 bonus with the 60,000 bonus from a business card ($3,000 spend in 3 months) and get a companion pass immediately with no additional spend.

I'll let someone else jump in if what Im about to say is wrong, but I would be very surprised

if one would get both the 50,000 and 60,000 RR points with a single credit card deal.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@dfwskier wrote:

@Saps

I'll let someone else jump in if what Im about to say is wrong, but I would be very surprised

if one would get both the 50,000 and 60,000 RR points with a single credit card deal.

Two accounts: One personal (50k) and one business (60k).