Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Curious - I'm closer to companion pass than A-list according to my RR-Report ... is that possible?

ridgeway
Adventurer C

In short, I have more 'Companion pass' points (about 3/4) compared to A-list (1/2) - is it possible to get 'companion pass' without reaching A-list? I've been A-list before but if it's possible I'm going all in on getting that companion pass.

Thanks!

--
Main flight paths are between DEN -> DAL (LUV Field) -> AUS -> PVR
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Curious - I'm closer to companion pass than A-list according to my RR-Report ... is that possibl

Bec
Explorer A
Solution

Since A-List has "Tier" points and Companion pass has "qualifying points", I suppose it is possible to do one without the other. I've not personally had it happen, but the fine print indicates  “Companion Pass Qualifying Points” are earned from your revenue flights booked through Southwest Airlines, your points earned on Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Credit Cards, and your base points earned from Rapid Rewards Partners. --VS-- "Tier Qualifying Points" are earned through the purchase of revenue flights or through the use of the Rapid Rewards Premier Card from Chase.

Go get those Rapid Reward Partners points!!

--Bec

Re: Curious - I'm closer to companion pass than A-list according to my RR-Report ... is that possibl

drnewman6
Explorer A

Yes it is!  Since it sounds like you have over 75,000 points, you need to figure out how to get the rest and have them post to your account this year.  If you don't have that many flights coming up, you need to look at ways to earn the points, either through credit card spending (if you have a SW credit card) or shopping through the SW Portal.  Many stores offer several points per dollar of spending and some "bonus" points count towards the Companion Pass.  Look at your account page for travel partners and see what bonus points are offered, in the fine print it will say if it does NOT qualify for points for the Companion Pass.  For instance some promo codes for 1800Flowers  do count towards the CP and some don't.  You can also transafer Marriott or Hyatt points if you have them. Those two do count towards the CP, while most others don't.   

ridgeway
Adventurer C

Yep the fine print is where I've been looking, and been using my SWA RR Card as designated business expense card as we expanded this year so that's probably a big reason why my CC points are overshadowing my flights, also always check rapidrewardsshopping.southwest.com to see if any great 4/pt deal for electonics at a store that will price match anyway! Win win! Also, I have been using points to fly, but not anymore so I don't miss out on the Non-A-List-companion-pass; I'm actually going to try and make it my goal to get companion pass without A-List as it seems it would be an odd situation and I'm curious... ha. 

Wish me luck. 

--

drnewman6
Explorer A

Good Luck, once you earn the CP, you will never want to live without it again!

tomralph2
Explorer C

How do I transfer my Marriott Rewards points to Southwest to complete my Companion Pass requirements?

StevenRosson
Explorer C

The thing to keep in mind is that not all RR points are equal. There are just regular RR points that you may acquire but don't count toward tier or companion pass, then there are companion pass qualifying points (CPQPs) which count towrad the companion pass, and finally tier-qualifying points (TQPs), which generally count toward both tier and companion pass.

If you are closer to CP than to ALP, you are earning CPQPs faster than TQPs. That's easy to do if you signed up for a Rapid Rewards credit card this year and received a large bonus, or already have the card and have been spending money on it. Points from the creedit card are CPQPs but not TQPs, so they'll propel you towrd CP but not tier status.

epiromsuk
Explorer C

Can it happen? Yep! It happened to me in 2015 (for calendar year 2016). Earned a Companion Pass be the end Sept but did not qualify for A-List. Luckily, WN had a promotion to gain A-List status by taking 3 qualifying flights within a short time frame. I am on track to gain both again this year. 

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

Here are a few ways to earn extra points towards the companion pass every month.  This is how I have been successful in getting the companion pass for the past six years! 

You can do free surveys at e-miles and e-rewards and redeem the for Southwest Points.  You can join Southwest Dining and earn points when you dine at participating restaurants.  Also take  a look at Southwest Rapid Rewards Shopping.  I always book cars & hotels through the Southwest website to maximize points!!  

ridgeway
Adventurer C

Ok so the survey thing I signed up for and did what it seems like almost $200 in surveys but barely have even reflected or have yet to reflect, haven't done one in a month or so because I deemed it a waste of time. If it isn't someone sell me on it... And I don't mind taking surveys usually they are great for whatever research they are trying to accomplish... But if Amazon will pay out more why not use them? (Besides the fact that these go directly toward CP).

Also, if I get CP without A-list, will I not get any a-list benefits?

And do I get double points if I purchase flights for others "qualifying" (with SWA CC)?

Thanks and much LUV 

-Ridge

--