Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

December 2021 Flights + Points - Customer Service Misinformation

aaronpc
Explorer C

I spoke with Southwest agents 3 times to ensure that I maintained my Companion pass which I've had for years.  We MUTUALLY walked through flights before the end of the year that would get me there and then purchases needed on my Southwest card as well.  I was SPECIFICALLY told on 2 separate occasions that the purchases from 12/16 to 12/31 would count which got me 5000 points over my needed goal (spoke with an agent the week before the 15th to confirm as well).  Perfect!  I then found out I was not given the Companion Level and THEN told that the SEVEN THOUSAND dollars I spent in that short amount of time due to THEIR STAFF telling me that's what I could do didn't count.  I put in a request and they got back to me to say "sorry" you are short basically 2000 points. 

I've been a preferred member for over a decade and never seen ANYTHING like this.  Has anyone had an issue (companion pass or not) like this and any ideas on how to resolve other than getting some archaic "too bad" email.   I would have just tried to figure out more flights in December if they didn't give me the run-around.  I'm about done with Southwest if this is how they now treat long-term customers

5 REPLIES 5

Re: December 2021 Flights + Points - Customer Service Misinformation

dfwskier
Aviator A

It is not clear what happened to you.

Did you take a bunch of 2021 flights and then end up short or was it something else?

Edit add: upon further read it appears this is another Chase issue. This happens all the time. For you to earn Chase points in?any year YOUR STATEMENT MUST CLOSE IN THAT YEAR.

I would have thought that a long time CP holderwould know that.

aaronpc
Explorer C

Thanks for the feedback!  Couple of quick responses

1. I spoke with Southwest, not Chase, specifically about this scenario from Dec 15/31 as well as the flights in December to reach the point requirement.  Both agents said purchases through 12/31 would count.
  2. As for being short on flights, I was short on points from flights or purchases to reach my normal Companion tier status.  I recognized this in November and called multiple times and discussed flights and points as well as purchases so I would have no issues making.  I even took a flight last 2 days of the year to be "safe".  I understand the point(s), but again this was specifically addressed and both agents said that those purchases in that period of time would be allocated.
  3. As for any response about "it's in the fine print", again, this is exactly why I called CUSTOMER SUPPORT and walked through very specific and detailed scenarios and even booked specific flights at business select to ensure coverage.  They, not me, need to read the fine print.  I thought there may have been an exception or a change potentially in 2021.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

You called Southwest support which has nothing to do with when points from Chase will post to your account.  They can certainly answer when points from flights will post to your account, but asking them about something they have zero control over is not the best idea.

You certainly tried, you just called the wrong company.  At least you know now.

--TheMiddleSeat

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

Southwest is correct in that those purchases made in the last half of December would count towards companion pass.  They just didn't indicate which year they would count for.  They would have no idea when your statement processing day is with Chase.  

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@aaronpc wrote:

purchases from 12/16 to 12/31 would count which got me 5000 points over my needed goal n-around. 

Only if your closing date was a few days before December 31.  Points post a few days after your statement date.  You've never looked at your Southwest RR points history and noticed this?  Since this is an issue with Chase and not Southwest you're barking up the wrong tree.

edit: maybe change the subject from misinformation to misunderstanding?

--TheMiddleSeat