Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Delays to acquire travel voucher

Maestra
Explorer C

In 2020, due to being immunocomromised, my MD advised me not to travel. I cancelled my flight   ( My family members went:Thanksgiving).   SW would not refund the cost of the trip as I was not sick with covid just in danger of being . This, despite the fact my immunologist would write a letter explaining my situation.

I planned to use the voucher this November. I have been waiting since June 9th for the voucher to be processed. The responses regarding the time it takes to process the voucher have increased every week from 7-9 days to now 45. Meanwhile, the family (we are 5)  waited for me to acquire said voucher and missed the low fares for Thanksgiving.  Planning now to go for a weekend in September with half of us and the other half to go in January. Is there any hope I will not lose the approximately $600. voucher.?  At this point I told the family to get their tickets and hope I get voucher so I can go in September. Any advice appreciated. 

9 REPLIES 9

Re: Delays to acquire travel voucher

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Do you have a case number from the original request?  Writing and referring to the previous case number is a good way to check in and see what is going on.  If you don't have a case number, then writing and providing all the necessary information along with a note that you called/wrote on June 9 may help.  Note that in both cases I suggest writing, not calling.  Use the contact us link at the bottom of the page and send a message.

--TheMiddleSeat

Maestra
Explorer C

TY middle seat

Yes, I have a case number and I have been calling and/or emailing every week. I emailed my Senator also as he is on Transportation committee. The only good news is that the voucher will expire from the date issued not from June 9th, Bad news -at this point I doubt I can get a ticket with my family for September. 

bec102896
Aviator A

If you have a case number You could call reservations and they can look it up to see about an update. 

You could also email as suggested or Tweet Southwest and they can assist through social media as well 

Maestra
Explorer C

Thank you. I have not tried a tweet yet. I did post on SW FB but no reply there.  At my age and immunocompromised, unless I travel when family does, I am not going, My hope now is if I don’t go in September, I can pass the Luv voucher to a family member for January. I appreciate these responses. 

Maestra
Explorer C

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Maestra wrote:

Thank you. I have not tried a tweet yet. I did post on SW FB but no reply there.  At my age and immunocompromised, unless I travel when family does, I am not going, My hope now is if I don’t go in September, I can pass the Luv voucher to a family member for January. I appreciate these responses. 

A voucher will be transferrable so that would work as long as the family members fly during prior to its expiration. 

However, I wanted to offer a practical suggestion - if you or any of the family members have enough points, go ahead and book your seat now with points to hold a spot as a backup plan. Then if the voucher comes through and you choose to use it you would cancel the points booking and they would be returned to whoever the owner was, and make the cash booking with the voucher.

Or use the family member's points now to get the better value prices, and give them the voucher in exchange when you get it for them to use later.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Re: resolved Delays to acquire travel voucher

Maestra
Explorer C

After almost 45 days, I have received my Liv vouchers.  Thank you for all your ideas. Appreciated. 

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Great!!

Hope that means you can take your November trip

Maestra
Explorer C

TY All - I apologize for typos .” Luv voucher. “ Family discussing best time for trip to accommodate all our needs. Appreciate your help.