Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Disgusted tier qualifying points system and customer service

swaScott
Explorer C

1,500 pts shy of A-list. email link to purchase points not working and when trying to call in customer service hold times not travel friendly.  

I had to change some flights last minute and realized that I was in jeopardy of not achieving enough points for A-list even after purchasing silly priced tickets that were 1/3 of the price elsewhere.  I was able to sit down today and wait for 30 minutes to attempt to finish the purchase of points that could not be completed per the link southwest had sent.  I wanted them to check and verify I signed on and was in my account trying to complete this task and was getting website errors.  Also tried to buy a ticket, but as I am sure you all are aware you have to be on that flight to get credit.  So it ended up "Sorry sir, there is nothing we can do".

I assume I am out of options but I thought I would ask before I pouted and took my travel business and credit card business to another vendor.

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Disgusted tier qualifying points system and customer service

flight1878
Explorer C

I hear you. I bought 2,000 miles today which took me over the 35,000. I called to double check and was told that they did not qualify. The offer to buy miles to do this ran out yesterday. Why does Southwest run a 364 day year?

dfwskier
Aviator A

I don't think that purchased RR points have ever let anyone qualify for either of the A_List statuses or companion pass.

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/eoy-tier-communication.html

swaScott
Explorer C

agreed, but these are TQP specifically stated in the email to put you over the hump if you are not at your 35,000.  The email is titled "Running Short on points to earn A-List?"  "its not too late. Buy & experience A-List in 2020."  More insult to injury is I just got another email telling me to take advantage of this offer from customer service today at 4:06 p.m. EST, yet customer service says its too late.  

dfwskier
Aviator A

@swaScott wrote:

agreed, but these are TQP specifically stated in the email to put you over the hump if you are not at your 35,000.  The email is titled "Running Short on points to earn A-List?"  "its not too late. Buy & experience A-List in 2020."  More insult to injury is I just got another email telling me to take advantage of this offer from customer service today at 4:06 p.m. EST, yet customer service says its too late.  

You apparently got a special offer.  Special offers have expiration dates. What is it? Believe what your e-mail tells you. 

If the offer is still open, then buy some points,

swaScott
Explorer C

email says:

Dear Scott,

We were excited to offer Members who are close to earning A-List status the chance to purchase additional Tier Qualifying Points (TQPs). In order to take advantage of this offer, purchase must be completed by December 30, 2019 using the link provided in the emailed offer. Customers can purchase a minimum of 1,000 TQPs (additional amounts can be purchased with a maximum of 25,000 TQPs per Member).

Please keep in mind that TQPs are solely for the purpose of reaching A-List Status. The purchased points cannot be redeemed for flights or alternative redemption items. Additionally, purchased TQPs do not count toward A-List Preferred status and/or Companion Pass, and they are only valid for 2019 A-List qualification, which gives you A-List status thru the end of 2020.

We truly appreciate each and every chance you give us to welcome you onboard, and it's our hope that you will continue flying Southwest Airlines for many years to come.

Sincerely,

Yvonne, Southwest Airlines

The file reference number for your email is 2311097725763.

sent 12/31/2019 @4:06 p.m.

Customer Service says this is not valid after 12/30/2019 lol

Hard to believe your email when you try to follow through with it and links are broken and when you finally get through they tell you its too late or you have conflicting messages as you can see above.  They are a mess.

Southwest needs to get it together...

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@swaScott wrote:

email says:

Dear Scott,

We were excited to offer Members who are close to earning A-List status the chance to purchase additional Tier Qualifying Points (TQPs). In order to take advantage of this offer, purchase must be completed by December 30, 2019 using the link provided in the emailed offer. Customers can purchase a minimum of 1,000 TQPs (additional amounts can be purchased with a maximum of 25,000 TQPs per Member).

Please keep in mind that TQPs are solely for the purpose of reaching A-List Status. The purchased points cannot be redeemed for flights or alternative redemption items. Additionally, purchased TQPs do not count toward A-List Preferred status and/or Companion Pass, and they are only valid for 2019 A-List qualification, which gives you A-List status thru the end of 2020.

We truly appreciate each and every chance you give us to welcome you onboard, and it's our hope that you will continue flying Southwest Airlines for many years to come.

Sincerely,

Yvonne, Southwest Airlines

The file reference number for your email is 2311097725763.

sent 12/31/2019 @4:06 p.m.

Customer Service says this is not valid after 12/30/2019 lol

Hard to believe your email when you try to follow through with it and links are broken and when you finally get through they tell you its too late or you have conflicting messages as you can see above.  They are a mess.

Southwest needs to get it together...

It is right in the email that the offer ended 12/30, so the customer service is correct and the promotional email was incorrectly sent too late...it seems unfortunately cut and dried, I'm not clear that you did end up buying "regular" points accidentally because of this email?

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.