Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Do I get Rapid Rewards for my children's tickets?

nglshmn
Explorer C

I have bought 4 tickets for our family to travel away for the weekend.  On checking in it suggests I put everyone's Rapid Rewards number in.  As my children are just 7, they don't have Rapid Reward accounts.  Can I get Reward credits for the tickets I purchased?

As I've paid full price for 2 tickets for them, it seems a little unfair that we lose any Reward credits for them.

Thanks.

12 REPLIES 12

Re: Do I get Rapid Rewards for my children's tickets?

franktravel
Aviator B
Solution

Hi 

You should sign you children up for Rapid Rewards so they will get credit for those flights..  The points they earn will never expire if there is activity in their account at least once every 24 months. 

The only way for you to get points is if you purchased the flights with the Southwest Airlines Chase credit card.  

shawnrichardson
Explorer C

It seems that if I am allowed to use my personally earned RR points to purchase flights for my family that I should be able to add ones that I buy to my RR points.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@shawnrichardson wrote:

It seems that if I am allowed to use my personally earned RR points to purchase flights for my family that I should be able to add ones that I buy to my RR points.

Those are two completely different things.

Frequent Flyer programs reward the flyer, not the purchaser.

If you use a Southwest Rapid Rewards credit card to make the purchase, you can earn points for all the flights you buy, regardless of passenger.

Melissa27a
Explorer C

I made RR accounts for my kids so they could get their points. 

JLMARR76
Explorer C

Hmm.  Well, I called SW and got the same answer.  When creating an account for your child, it says you have to use their e-mail address.  I mentioned that my son is only two years old.  They said that's fine and that I just need to create an e-mail address for him.  I didn't know you could do that, but I tried, and sure enough I received an error message as I tried to finalize it:  

In order to have a Google Account, you must meet certain age requirements. To learn more about online child safety, visit the Federal Trade Commission's website.

It doesn't matter which company you try to use.  They're all aware of the laws.  Below is the response from Yahoo:  

We’re not able to complete your registration at this time. To sign up for a Yahoo account, you must meet certain age requirements.

bec102896
Aviator A

I would just make an email with a fake birth date you or your son can use the points with no problem and you could use them on anyone even though only the flier (your 2 year old son in this case) can earn the points but they can be redeemed for anyone so you could fly on your sons points if you wanted.

hope this helps

Blake 

CareforNOLA
Frequent Flyer A

I would create an email account for him with your info and list it on his RR application.  So it is you4 email that will be shown as his within the SWA system.  You will be checking the email until he gets old enough to use it or change it.

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

I just used my own email address for both of my kids and then when they got old enough they created their own email address and we updated RR.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@PDFelter uses the same approach I took, it also seems to be the simplest. Just use the same email address you currently use for your account. Nothing in the Southwest system says the email address needs to unique. The whole family could use the same email address.