Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Do my points from my Rapid Rewards Visa Credit Card count toward A-List?

tigereye
Explorer A

Hello,  I just signed up for the rapid rewards credit card and want to know if the points from my credit card count towards my A-list status status. I'm trying to get to A-List as quickly as possible. Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Do my points from my Rapid Rewards Visa Credit Card count toward A-List?

Kaylat413
Explorer A

It depends. If you have the Rapid Rewards Chase Plus Card, you will not earn any points towards AList status. If you have the Rapid Rewards Premier Card, you will earn a 1,500 point bonus towards your AList Tier Qualifying balance for every $10,000 spent with that card. The maximum amount of Tier Qualifying Points you can earn through this method is 15,000 points.

LisaGoode
Employee
Employee
Solution

I would like to add for clarification purposes that to actually get to A-List status, you will also need some flight activity in conjunction with using the credit card.  The credit card alone will not allow you A-List status because of the 15,000-point limit (it takes 35,000 Tier qualifying points for A-List). However, the Plus and Premier cards can be used to earn Companion Pass status (110,000 points) without any flight activity!

marisaf60
Explorer C

If there is a cap of 15,000 from use of the Chase card, how does one accumulate the additional 20,000 points needed to attain A-List status?

franktravel
Aviator B

Tier Qualifying Points are earned from revenue flights!  or through select Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Credit Cards and are exclusive of bonuses and promotions.

HBguy
Explorer C

You have to book and fly revenue flights for the remaining 20k points needed for A-list, if you earn the max 15k tier qualifying points on your RR credit card. If you don't fly enough throughout the year to stay on track for the additional 20k, then switch to flying "Anytime"  or "Business Select" fares,  and you will quickly bump up your A-List qualifiying tier points total.  Anytime fares get 10x's points per dollar, and Business Select fares gets 12x's the points per dollar, so both can help you quickly accumulate the needed points if you are short heading into year end.

timjfink
Explorer C

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for the clarification. When do the points post to my account? I have been using my Premier card since May, accumulating over 30K points, but have not see any points posted to my A-List status. 

Thanks!

paolaalex
Explorer C

If I have both cards (Plus & Premier) do the points from both cards accumulate towards Companion Pass under my rapid rewards account?

PS:  Love Southwest, only airline I fly in the US.  Been flying with SW since approx. 1999.

AdamH
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hey @tigereye, great question. For every 10,000 points earned with the card, you can earn 1,500 teir qualifying points, up to 15,000 tier qualifying points. Hope that helps!

mattrang12
Explorer C

"To qualify for A-List status, you will need to fly 25 Southwest Airlines one-way qualifying flights or earn 35,000 Tier Qualifying points per calendar year.  To qualify for A-List Preferred status, you will need to fly 50 Southwest Airlines one-way qualifying flights or earn 70,000 Tier Qualifying points per calendar year.  A one-way qualifying flight is defined as a one-way revenue trip on Southwest Airlines from an origin city to a destination city, including any intermediate stops and/or connections on Southwest Airlines.  Tier Qualifying points are earned from revenue flights or through the Rapid Rewards Premier Card from Chase.  Points earned via Rapid Rewards Partners, with the exception of the Rapid Rewards Premier Card from Chase, purchased points, bonus points, or points earned via a promotion are not Tier Qualifying points and do not count toward A-List and A-List Preferred qualification."