Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Do points earned on car rental count toward companion pass?

colomomof3
Explorer C

I have booked a week long car rental (National) through SW (2400 points).  Do all 2400 points count toward companion pass status?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Do points earned on car rental count toward companion pass?

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

Here is what it says in the small print when booking the rental: 

• Member will receive 600 points for one to two day rentals; 1,200 points for three to seven day rentals; and 2,400 points for rentals of eight days or longer.
  • Any points earned over 600 per rental will be considered bonus; bonus points do not count toward A-List, A-List Preferred, or Companion Pass qualification.

Probably not what you wanted, but you are still earning an additional 1,800 points for future travel! To me it is a win/win.

CP4Mom
Explorer C

I'm working toward my CP, and will be getting a rental car for an upcoming trip. It was informative to read that ONLY 600 pts per car rental, regardless of # of days rented 

and bonus points offered, qualify toward CP. So...can I book multiple, sequential rentals to rack-up more legit CP-qualifying points?  -or are there restrictions?  (for example: limited # of sequential rentals allowed through same locations within __ days?) 

For a 10-day trip...

Am I allowed to do five 2-day rentals (@ 600 CP qualifying pts per rental) to receive 3000 CP qualifying points? 

(as opposed to doing an 8+ day rental, and receiving 2400 points, of which only 600 pts of the 2400 qualify toward a CP) 

CP4Mom

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

I don't think that would be restricted, what if you had separate clients that you needed to reimburse expenses individually for each car trip?

It sounds like a pain to keep bringing the car back for an exchange unless you have a way for the rental company to leave it in your possession for each rental period...I haven't ever heard of that before.

If you are paying for the rental on your Southwest Visa then the total cost also applies at dollar per point, so in that regard you capture the length of rental in the rewards although presumably less than the 600 incentive points.

I've been making CP pretty comfortably the past few years, I don't think this would be worth it to spend the time returning the car multiple times unless you had to, or you were staying near the rental place where it was super convenient.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

In general, for Companion Pass earning, partner "base" points count, while any multipliers or additional "bonus" points do not.