Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Do points earned on southwesthotels.com count toward earning a companion pass?

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

I've done the pay more to get more points for hotels and ALL points counted.  Buying points through SW is a different thing.

Re: Do points earned on southwesthotels.com count toward earning a companion pass?

dfwskier
Aviator A

@gsking wrote:

Are you certain?   

Points you buy from Southwest don't count towards CP.

Points bought at a hotel are no different.

Purchases points are purchased points..

https://www.southwest.com/html/rapidrewards/eoy-tier-communication.html

Note the verbiage at the very bottom of the page...

giesler13
Explorer C

Thanks to all for your thoughts.  I talked to someone at Southwest yesterday, and heard that all 38,000 points would be CPQ.  However, I didn't trust the answer, which is what drove me to this forum.

I'm going to keep the reservation, and will post the results after they hit my account.

gsking
Aviator C

Well,  apparently they aren't considered bonus points.   We have testimonial that they are CQP.

PDFelter
Frequent Flyer B

I think some confusion comes from thinking that you are buying more points.  You aren't.  You are paying more for a hotel room and their points awarded are more for the higher hotel cost.  

gsking
Aviator C

Exactly.   And the cost is about on par with the value of points,  so it's not a big risk or waste (last time I checked)

giesler13
Explorer C

For the record, I did receive all 38,000 points from my Washington DC hotel (see previous post) towards CPQ.  To summarize, then, the points earned from the hotel stay, the "Pay More to Earn More" points, and the "Boost" points all counted towards my 2022 Companion Pass.

bwallet
Frequent Flyer A

Is southwesthotels.com considered an OTA? I'm guessing so, but I am still asking.