Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Drink Coupons

Aaryan
New Arrival

Sounds good! 

How about making it optional to donate those coupons? Service men, firefighters, teachers or nurses, etc? I'm sure they could use it. 

Re: Drink Coupons

chgoflyer
Top Contributor

@Aaryan wrote:

Sounds good! 

How about making it optional to donate those coupons? Service men, firefighters, teachers or nurses, etc? I'm sure they could use it. 


Drink coupons are transferrable, so you can donate yours to anyone you'd like.

Re: Drink Coupons

129499333
New Arrival

Hi, I've flow Southwest for over 15 years and carrying an A list for all of my travels.  I have never received a free drink coupon.  How is it set up?  I saw it says it's after 10 one flights, but I've far exceeded that.  Please advise.

Re: Drink Coupons

chgoflyer
Top Contributor
Solution

@129499333 wrote:

Hi, I've flow Southwest for over 15 years and carrying an A list for all of my travels.  I have never received a free drink coupon.  How is it set up?  I saw it says it's after 10 one flights, but I've far exceeded that.  Please advise.

 

Be aware that it's 10 paid flights, points bookings don't count. Also, double check that you're opted in to receive them -- here's a great guide:

 

https://www.southwestaircommunity.com/t5/Rapid-Rewards/Drink-Coupons/m-p/51847#M966

Re: Drink Coupons

kcaminiti021
New Arrival

I have been a RR member and a RR Visa member for over 20 years.  They used to be great with the coupons.  It seemed like almost every time I booked rewards travel they sent me coupons.  It was awesome.  I don't know what exact changes have happened to this program but I used to have so many I couldn't use them all, and now, I never get any.  They've gotten stingy with the drink coupons.  Luckily other passengers are very gracious and honestly so are the flight attendants.  Last several flight I took the flight attendant didn't charge me for my drink and/or I got free drink coupons from surrounding passengers.  So nice!!!

Re: Drink Coupons

chgoflyer
Top Contributor

@kcaminiti021 wrote:

I have been a RR member and a RR Visa member for over 20 years.  They used to be great with the coupons.  It seemed like almost every time I booked rewards travel they sent me coupons.  It was awesome.  I don't know what exact changes have happened to this program but I used to have so many I couldn't use them all, and now, I never get any.  They've gotten stingy with the drink coupons.  Luckily other passengers are very gracious and honestly so are the flight attendants.  Last several flight I took the flight attendant didn't charge me for my drink and/or I got free drink coupons from surrounding passengers.  So nice!!!


 

In the old Rapid Rewards program, you received 4 drink coupons each time you earned a free flight. For those with the Southwest credit card, this was pretty frequent. Which led to a lot of people having a lot of drink coupons. At that time, drink coupons didn't list an expiration date. Carrying the potential cost for all of those coupons on their balance sheets became a liability for Southwest, so they infamously declared all existing, non-dated coupons to be null and void after an arbitrary expiration date. That was the beginning of a major shift in how drink coupons are distributed. Now, customers who have opted-in receive 4 coupons after each set of 10 paid flights. So earning is much, much slower. Chase also used to send them with greater frequency, but now they only send to a small set of customers on "milestone" anniversaries.

 

Luckily, as you said, FAs are fairly generous with free drinks (unofficially on any delayed flight). 😉