Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Early Bird Refund

TracyP
Explorer C

I am not happy with Southwest right now.  I had several trips coming up within the next couple of months and have had to cancel, since we have no idea when this crisis will be over.  I  am grateful that our airfare will be available for future trips, but very unhappy that I will lose my Early Bird fees.  I understand that it is not refundable, but we should be able to get a credit for those fees as well to be used once we are able to travel.  I understand that if you just change your dates the Early Bird moves with it, but I can't move the flights if I don't know when I'm going.

26 REPLIES 26

Re: Early Bird Refund

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

An exception to the rule could be coming, it's certainly something that could be done. However, if anyone else is in the same position here's two tips:

1. Don't cancel a reservation until a day or two before you are scheduled to depart. Wait as long as you can to see if policies change or flights get canceled. You may even end up with a cash refund instead of travel funds. 

2. Don't cancel if you have EarlyBird attached to the reservation. Instead, change the flight to some other future date at the same or lower price. It doesn't matter what flight you change to. This will keep EarlyBird on the reservation and you won't lose the money you paid for it. When you finally decide on a flight you actually want, change your reservation again and you'll have EarlyBird on it.

--TheMiddleSeat

bec102896
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

2. Don't cancel if you have EarlyBird attached to the reservation. Instead, change the flight to some other future date at the same or lower price. It doesn't matter what flight you change to. This will keep EarlyBird on the reservation and you won't lose the money you paid for it. When you finally decide on a flight you actually want, change your reservation again and you'll have EarlyBird on it.

--TheMiddleSeat

Great idea! An easy way to keep EB in tact and not lose those funds. 

Bryant
Explorer C

I'm in the same position with two reservations for two, both with the $25 each for early bird ( $200 total ).  While I understand the situation, I didn't choose to chance the flights ( one to Vegas for a conference that was canceled and one to New York ).  These cancellations are happening due to decisions beyond my control.  I understand it's a messed up situation.

I would be very happy with SW if they at least gave me credit for the early bird so I could use the value with them later on a later flight. 

And it would be better for them to allow us to cancel the tickets so they could better understand the number of passengers on the plane.  If everyone cancels at the last minute, they may be flying an empty plane.  

On option #2, do you think the future flight has to be at the same destination, or could I change the destination to keep the early bird?

Thanks,

Bryant

SWDigits
Aviator A

Bryant
Explorer C

Thanks for the link.  At least there is a work around.

I wish SW would just make it easy and give us credit in the travel bank.  It would be easier on them and the traveler.  

ajpyzik
Explorer C

Old folks that do not know the tricks of the trade.  Why should I have to jump through hoops to keep $80. I paid $80 for early bird check in for my wife and I who are both 70. To me it is a rip off. We bought it so we could try and win the lottery and get an aisle seat. Southwest says everyone can buy early bird check in; so there is no guarantee you will not end up in a middle seat. I cancelled flight because of the virus. This is a special case. It is only $80 but it is not worth the health of my wife and I. To me giving credit for early check in is the least Southwest could do. A refund would be the answer since Southwest looses nothing by refunding early check in during this crisis. They say they treat customers like royalty but here is another example of the Corporation Policy being a priority versus us common folks.

michalski
Explorer C

Early bird check-in is just that paying to get a seat on the aisle. If there is no flight than there is no early bird check-in. The airline should just credit it to the next flight when there is a check-in along with the flight credit.

aparhamjr86
Explorer C

not everyone can just put in future dates when they are trying to save their early bird, some of us have to get permission for days off work. there is a lot to put into that. The bottom line is SW shouldn't take their customers $$ due to the fact that their is a PANDEMIC happening and everything is shutting down. Nobody wants to cancel their vacations and this certainly isn't the customers fault.

Mdirick321
Explorer C

Exactly!  I’m unable to reschedule within 60 days!!

SWA needs to immediately re-evaluate the policy because none of this is anyone’s fault and for SWA to pocket all the early-bird rates during this time is FRAUDULENT as they will make millions in these fees without having to provide any kind of service and possibly be receiving bailouts/loans from the US Govt. 

SWA, you REALLY need to re-think this non-refund policy immediately.