Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Earning Rewards Points toward a Companion Pass

skelley777
Explorer C

Two issues.  First I did a refer a friend and convinced my sister to click through a Chase Visa SW card link to apply for and be approved for a card, for which I was told I would earn 10,000 points.  She did and was approved.  Now Chase says it will take 6-8 weeks after my sister makes a charge on the card before I can earn the points.  Before they told me that she only needed to apply and be approved. That is ridiculous.

Second, I have been watching and although I was awarded points for my last two credit card statements which increased my total, the points did not move the needle on reaching the 110,000 points to earn a Companion Pass. Why is that? They were points earned from legitimate Chase SW Visa credit card purchases.   

I am close to earning the Companion pass, but it seems like a lot of hurdles are being thrown in the way.

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Earning Rewards Points toward a Companion Pass

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager

Hi @Skelley77, 

Congratulations on being so close to earning your Companion Pass. I definitely don't want you to feel frustrated about those last few points. @franktravel and @TheMiddleSeat have both been Companion Pass holders, so they may be able to offer some good advice and insight. Also, @chgoflyer is pretty knowledgeable on the Rapid Rewards Program and may be able to share something helpful. 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Are you sure the CP "needle" didn't move? All RR Visa credit card points count towards CP.

To verify where you are currently, log into your account and under My Rapid Rewards > Recent Activity, select View All Activity. Then, under Point Type you can toggle back and forth between All, Tier Qualifying Points (for A-List) and Companion Pass Qualifying Points.

Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 6.02.13 PM.png

If there's a discrepancy, you'll need to reach out to Southwest. I recommend Twitter for the quickest response.

The terms of Chase's referal offer say, "Please allow up to 8 weeks after each new cardmember’s approval for bonus points to post to your account.” So you were given incorrect info from Chase. If the points haven't posted by then, contact Chase again, and refer to the link above.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@chgoflyer In the transaction history won't there be a line item each month for points earned from credit card spending? I seem to remember seeing something like that, clearly differentiated from points earned by flying.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Each line item is labeled to indicate the source.

To the right of the "Point type" box is box labeled "Filter by," which will let you see only Credit Card points, as monthly line-items, as you toggle between "All" and "Companion Pass Qualifying Points."

Screen Shot 2017-07-17 at 8.47.16 PM.png

skelley777
Explorer C

FINALLY i was given the points after numerous contacts and having to get a bit ugly with them.  But, there is a HUGE problem with the Chase Refer-a-Friend program that could negatively reflect on Southwest. The program is so mismanaged that when someone refers a friend, it can take 8-10 days for that friend to simply receive the invite email.  This is why we have computers folks. it should be INSTANTANEOUS.  Plus Chase keeps changing the rules, one day the program is in effect, the next it is not, then it is again.  since this a program that Chase and SW work together on, maybe SW needs to get Chase to clean up their act.  I know if Chase was in charge of the flying itself, I'd never risk my life on one of the planes.   i do lover SW. Chase is the problem.