Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Earning Tier Points

AlbanyFlyer
Explorer C

How frequently are eligible points from my RR Premier card credited to my A status, monthly, at the end of year, or after I have spent  $10,000? 

I need 1,212 points to A status for 2017. When I pay my credit card bill at the end of the month, which is higher than this amount, will I reach my A status for the year? 

If not, how much would it cost me to purchase those points to ensure my A status for 2017?

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Earning Tier Points

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi

Every time you reach $10,000 spent on your Credit Card your 1500 points goes on your Tier account. Monthly.

The answer to your other question is no.  You must fly 25 qualifying one-way flight segments booked through Southwest Airlines or earn 35,000 Tier Qualifying Points per calendar year will qualify for A-List status. 

Teddyz
Explorer C

Hey there, I'm finally really close to A List Preferred, and i have $20,000 in additional card charges that should give me an additional 3000 points. The charges were done in November so clearly they should make the cutoff date of Monthly, but I've called the credit card company and no one can give me a definite answer. 

These will literally be the points that put me over the top, as I have one last trip wich will leave me about 1500 points short. Is there someone I can contact at Southwest Rapid rewards who can help me insure these get credited on time?

franktravel
Aviator B

You may want to check your Tier points activity in your account because if you spent 20,000 in Nov they may have posted to your account already.  Log into your account then click recent activity in the blue block.  Now click on where it says "View All Activity" in blue text to the right.  Where it says "point type"click on "Tier Qualifing Points" this will show you when the 1500 points post from the credit card.  The points in my account post a week after charging 10K.  My regular points post about a week after the due date in that month. 

Good Luck!

Teddyz
Explorer C

Thanks for the reply, sadly I have checked and they weren't in there. I called right after that to confirm how much was due, and they confirmed the amount but cannot guarantee they will post before January 1st. Which would mean I missed it even though I made it.

canoegirl
Explorer B
Solution

Try looking at your previous statements to see what date the statement gets generated, to see when the points will post. I was in a similar situation and realized that my first statement was posted November 12, so the December one should be 12/12, and that turned out to be correct.

Good luck!

tnlynch
Explorer C

Was this ever resolved for you?  I ask because I've charged (and paid) more than $25,000 on my card since October 1, but the last update to my tier points was October 5 for my September bill.  I've spent over 2.5 hours on the phone today -  SWA is blaming Chase for not getting the points over, Chase says they have and it's a known issue with SWA.  Either way, I am waiting for those points to hit A-level status.  They say I'm not affected by this "delay" that no one will cop to, but I am not able to reserve and get my a-level benefits. 

On another note, I asked to speak to a supervisor of the c/s person at SWA, and she said she couldn't transfer my call.  I suggested maybe her manager could walk over to her desk and get on the phone, and she said they can't do that.  

I used to think very highly of SWA customer service.  

justyn
Explorer C

I'm confused.  Is this $10,000 *spent* on the card or *balance of $10,000*?  In other words does the entire 10k need to be on the card at once or is this 10k charged over the course of a year?

franktravel
Aviator B

Hi 

This is what it say's on the website. 

"A Member who has a Rapid Rewards Premier Card from Chase will earn 1,500 Tier Qualifying Points for every $10,000 in eligible net purchases on that card, up to 15,000 Tier Qualifying Points per year".

In my account I received 1,500 points for every 10k in purchases.