Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Earning and Maximizing Points Tips & Tricks

mayabulleit
Explorer A

Opening up a new thread on the topic of earning and maximizing points. Lots of good info found in various threads, however would like to combine some here and possibly create a shared document for everyone's reference and use.

What are your tips for earning or maximizing SWA points?

Here are some prompts to get conversation started:

• Booking hotel stay through SWA
  • Booking rental car through SWA
  • Signing up for and using SWA credit card
  • When to purchase SWA points
  • Best SWA point calculator or formula

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Earning and Maximizing Points Tips & Tricks

mayabulleit
Explorer A

Here is a great thread I saw earlier by @Kauaikidd:
Maximizing-Rapid-Rewards-Utilization-Lesson-One 

"The first two points are the most important;

1)  When Southwest has a sale, purchasing tickets with points ALSO goes on sale.  Southwest is the ONLY airline I know of that does this.  This, a ticket that might have cost you 16000 points normally may only cost you 9000 points during a sale.  So, book ALL your flights during the big 3 day sale periods and you will make your hard earned points last MUCH longer.

2)  A companion pass works WITH the above mentioned technique.  So, you combine a free ($6) ticket with the ticket you bought with points ON SALE and you have a combination that you simply cant beat.

These two features, working together, make the Southwest Rapide Rewards program the best 8n the air.  But there's more!  Read my next post to learn more.

IFLYSWA,

Kauaikidd"

mayabulleit
Explorer A

Another great write up with several tips by @elijahbrantley !
Maximizing-Rapid-Rewards-and-Companion-Pass-for-an-Anniversary 

revjames
Explorer C

Dear Friend, How are you today? please in my department I discovered an overflow of huge sum of money in USD I decided to find a trustful foreigner that can help me receive the funds to his or her country I will write in an application for this funds to be transferred to you without any delay I will offer you 30% of the total funds for your help okay? For more details and clarification send me an email to my private email address... revmorganjesus@yahoo.com,

God bless you and your family,

Rev.James.

shelbyusn
Frequent Flyer C

Good "Check List" to earn points.😃

I am a Sailor

gsking
Aviator C

If the goal is to earn points for CP, I think the hotel stay is the best bet. Some hotels offer bonus points at around 160 points per dollar, which is close to the valuation.   But you lose refundability.  

Rental cars are not so good.   The cost to rent is high.   A good discount rate is a better deal,  but can't be used with reward points. 

Of course, putting everything on the RR card is a no- brainer.

mayabulleit
Explorer A
Spoiler
Agreed. I put everything I can on the card and pay it off at the end of the month. Rack up those points!