Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Expiring travel funds

NOLA1206
Explorer A

Hi all, 

I just read, through an answer to someone's question, that for a $100 fee you can transfer expiring travel funds to your RR account?

Has this always been the case and if so, how come it's not noted anywhere? I lost hundreds of dollars worth of funds that I would gladly have paid a fee to save. (This was prior to covid) 

BTW, I was actually on the phone with a rep who told me there was nothing he could do to help me save my funds. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Expiring travel funds

dfwskier
Aviator A
Solution

Well you have it partially right.

After a travel fund expires you may convert the fund into a voucher. You must do so within 6 months of the fund expiration date and the voucher is good for 6 months. Cost of doing so is $100.

This is not a formal policy, thus it is not published. That means the airline can change the terms of the deal at any time. 

Reps you talk to can only refer to established policies. What I mentioned above is not one of them.

NOLA1206
Explorer A

Wish I had known about it anyway.....even to use for 6 months. They made it really difficult to remember that you even had travel funds. I never remember those confirmation #s to look up.

Even though they have made a small improvement, you still have to remember that confirmation. Not always easy when you have multiples. Wish they would just show up once you sign into your travel funds. Guess that's how they make more money!!! SMH

dfwskier
Aviator A

@NOLA1206 wrote:

Even though they have made a small improvement, you still have to remember that confirmation. Not always easy when you have multiples. Wish they would just show up once you sign into your travel funds. Guess that's how they make more money!!! SMH

Actually, you no longer need to remember anything. SW improved the situation. I forget if it happened the end of last year or the beginning of this one. Travel funds created after the change automatically show up in your SW account. You just have to log in. to view tham.

ThatAdamGuy
Explorer C

Hi there,

Curious to know if the informal policy is that there's a grace period from the time you request the voucher (within 6 months of the expiration) or a grace period that is a max 6 months from the expiration.

e.g., if my funds expire on 1/1/2021, if I wait until 6/15/2021, will my travel voucher be good until 12/15/2021 or 7/1/2021?

Thanks in advance for the info!

Signed,

Someone who canceled his earlier tickets one hour and 40 minutes past the Sep 7 deadline and Southwest wouldn't budge 😞

chgoflyer
Aviator A
Solution

@ThatAdamGuy wrote:

Hi there,

Curious to know if the informal policy is that there's a grace period from the time you request the voucher (within 6 months of the expiration) or a grace period that is a max 6 months from the expiration.

e.g., if my funds expire on 1/1/2021, if I wait until 6/15/2021, will my travel voucher be good until 12/15/2021 or 7/1/2021?

Thanks in advance for the info!

Signed,

Someone who canceled his earlier tickets one hour and 40 minutes past the Sep 7 deadline and Southwest wouldn't budge 😞

You have six months from the date of expiration in which to make the voucher request, and the voucher will be valid for 6 months from the date of issue.