Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Extending Expiration Date for Unused Travel Funds

midessadave
Explorer C

I have unused travel funds that expire in September, my next flight is not until November so I was unable to apply them to the flight.  It is only $11.20 but still money.  How can I get a refund?

I have searched and cannot find an answer on a post.  I have searched the website and still do not find the solution.  Thanks in advance for any help.  Dave

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Extending Expiration Date for Unused Travel Funds

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Dave,

Sorry, you won't be able to get a refund and the travel funds will expire one year after you made your original purchase.  You are correct that any travel you purchase with the funds must be completed before the funds expire.  There is an option to reinstate expired travel funds, but that will cost you $100 so it would not work for you in this situation.  Sounds like you'll either need to plan a trip before the expiration in September or let them expire.

--TheMiddleSeat

Did this or any other comment in the thread answer your question? Please take a moment and click the "Accept as Solution" button on the comments you found most helpful, this will be a big help to any future Community Members who have a similar question!

Re: Extending Expiration Date for Unused Travel Funds

dfwskier
Aviator A

I'm afraid that you are out of luck. The reason your search produced no results is that you cannot do what you want to do.

Travel funds expire one year 

after the date the original ticket was bought. After that point, one can convert the funds to a travel voucher. The fee for doing that is $100.

If you only have $11.20 in travel funds that are about to expire, then the $100 fee makes conversion

economcally irrelevent.

Sorry.