Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Extension of Benefit Levels and Companion Pass-Covid-19

cfetty
Explorer C

I am hoping that SouthWest will do as many Airline, Hotel and Auto Rental Companies are doing and extending the status of earned benefit levels through 2021 and some at 2022.

I received notice from Delta that all benefit levels earned in 2019 will be frozen until the end of 2021 and Marriott has done the same except until Feb 2022.

13 REPLIES 13

Re: Extension of Benefit Levels and Companion Pass-Covid-19

dfwskier
Aviator A

Stay tuned. The airline first has to figure out how to keep flying when the number of passengers is about 5% of what it was a year ago,

NelCim
Explorer B

I join other loyal Southwest customers in hoping Southwest will do the right thing and extend our Companion Pass benefits through the end of 2021 or longer. My husband flies United for business (primarily based on routes and schedules). But I fly only Southwest.

On Monday, April 6, my husband received an email from United announcing multiple ways United is demonstrating appreciation for loyal United customers, including extending travel certificates by 24 months and reducing status qualifications by 50% for 2021. 

Like all other Southwest Companion Pass holders, my Companion Pass represents not only loyalty to Southwest, but also many, many business trips away from my family. Earning my Companion Pass was the silver lining to an exhausting travel schedule. For 2020, we planned to take not only monthly weekend trips, but also several large trips, all using my Companion Pass. Needless to say, the global pandemic and stay-at-home orders have impacted not only immediate travel, but also our sense of safety and security in air travel when current stay-at-home and social distancing restrictions subside.

We have repeatedly told friends and family what an amazing company we feel Southwest is and our support for a company like Southwest that treats its customers with fairness, respect and appreciation. I genuinely hope Southwest will continue to live up to that reputation by honoring our hard-earned Companion Passes at least through the end of 2021. These are unprecedented times and call upon all of us - customers and senior executives alike - to do the right thing. Extending Companion Passes is not only the right thing to do, it will reinforce brand loyalty. 

I respectfully ask Southwest to do as it has done in the past - be a leader, not a follower. Thank you for the opportunity to share these thoughts. 

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@NelCim wrote:

I join other loyal Southwest customers in hoping Southwest will do the right thing and extend our Companion Pass benefits through the end of 2021 or longer. My husband flies United for business (primarily based on routes and schedules). But I fly only Southwest.

On Monday, April 6, my husband received an email from United announcing multiple ways United is demonstrating appreciation for loyal United customers, including extending travel certificates by 24 months and reducing status qualifications by 50% for 2021. 

Like all other Southwest Companion Pass holders, my Companion Pass represents not only loyalty to Southwest, but also many, many business trips away from my family. Earning my Companion Pass was the silver lining to an exhausting travel schedule. For 2020, we planned to take not only monthly weekend trips, but also several large trips, all using my Companion Pass. Needless to say, the global pandemic and stay-at-home orders have impacted not only immediate travel, but also our sense of safety and security in air travel when current stay-at-home and social distancing restrictions subside.

We have repeatedly told friends and family what an amazing company we feel Southwest is and our support for a company like Southwest that treats its customers with fairness, respect and appreciation. I genuinely hope Southwest will continue to live up to that reputation by honoring our hard-earned Companion Passes at least through the end of 2021. These are unprecedented times and call upon all of us - customers and senior executives alike - to do the right thing. Extending Companion Passes is not only the right thing to do, it will reinforce brand loyalty. 

I respectfully ask Southwest to do as it has done in the past - be a leader, not a follower. Thank you for the opportunity to share these thoughts. 

This is definitely coming, TBD what the terms will be.

Nobody benefits if they don't maintain the loyalty programs - passengers want the perks and Southwest wants frequent flyers to be repeat customers.

I'm not sure how Companion Pass will work since that can come from flights, spending, or a combination of both. Chase may be a stakeholder in extending people that qualified from credit card use.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.

Route68
Explorer C

I have flown Southwest exclusively for a decade.  Not one flight on a single airplane but Southwest including trips to Hawaii and Mexico.  In 2019, we worked really hard and spent a lot of money to earn the 2020 Companion pass for my wife.  In February, we flew to Las Vegas from Chicago and then the shut down.  As of right now, if they do not honor the companion pass through 2021 and end it on schedule, 12/31/20, my wife’s $250 flight to Las Vegas will cost us $110,000 in earned points.  I believe she could have flown on the Concorde or even to outer space cheaper.  It is the right thing to do and why it is even taking someone this long to debate this issue is disheartening.  Providing anyone, extended flight credit which also impacts our entire family is a good thing but that is helping possibly one time Southwest flyers, not taking care of this that have earned a companion pass likely by extensive travel like us, the Southwest credit card, would be astonishing.  

Jonesbbkr
Explorer B

I’ve always considered Southwest a company that truly cares about its customers, but when I see other airlines extending status levels achieved to they’re reward program members during the unprecedented times we are facing and Southwest standing on the sidelines I feel have to reconsider my viewpoint.  I continually and currently have an A-list preferred status with companion pass and have maintained these levels  for years.  I feel I’ve shown my loyalty to Southwest but I’m definitely not feeling any loyalty in return.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@Jonesbbkr wrote:

I’ve always considered Southwest a company that truly cares about its customers, but when I see other airlines extending status levels achieved to they’re reward program members during the unprecedented times we are facing and Southwest standing on the sidelines I feel have to reconsider my viewpoint.  I continually and currently have an A-list preferred status with companion pass and have maintained these levels  for years.  I feel I’ve shown my loyalty to Southwest but I’m definitely not feeling any loyalty in return.

Some sort of accommodation for A-List and presumably Companion Pass is coming. Give Southwest some time to figure out what the best options are for their customers. It's not like you need to use it right now. The scheduled is only open to book through October.

elijahbrantley
Aviator A

@Jonesbbkr I have CP and am ALP as well, so I get it.

That said, CP is unlike any other airlines perk. The cost to SW is likely astronomical, so as anxious as I am to understand how they will adjust, I cannot blame them for being slow to get a full understanding of the depth and length of the CV-19 situation. The response should be proportionate to the issue. 

I am anxious to see what they will so, but I am not equating a slow response to a lack of concern for customers.

-A List, Companion Pass holder

cfrieday
Explorer A

I am watching this daily as I will achieve companion pass status this month.   Up until the Pandemic hit I anticipated this status for the remainder of 2020 and all of 2021 feeling extremely lucky to have finally made it happen.  We have worker very hard in achieving this and can't wait to use, however now I worry all our efforts will greatly reduce the length of time we will have to use it.  Praying for an extension.    We can't wait to fly again.                 

beavermba
Explorer C

If you've already earned CP in 4 months this year, that's amazing!  You will have benefits for all this year plus next.  I would not be concerned about that.  Those of us that need to keep earning this year and need that extra couple of months to do so, are concerned about losing it at the end of this year.