Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Family Pooling

Abobbi
Explorer C

Wouldn't it be great if my favorite Southwest Airlines would initiate a Family Pooling Plan for Rapid Rewards Points (like Jet Blue’s program)? And allow credited funds be used towards Family members’ ticket purchases? I think this would be a welcomed enhancement for us loyal SWA fans.

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Family Pooling

basslaw2010
Frequent Flyer B

I hear what you're saying, but not to sound too sarcastic, isn't it great that Southwest doesn't charge change fees, baggage fees, etc., just like all the other airlines (including Jet Blue)?

Abobbi
Explorer C

YES, totally agree that it’s great if you have checked luggage. (JB does charge but their fares are lower than SW.)   BUT, the JB sharing points is a great program. And SW just recently (within the past couple of years) disallowed me the purchaser of the tickets to use a/my credit balance, only the passenger. 

bec102896
Aviator A

@Abobbi

yes I do think it would be great if Southwest made some type of program for family pooling but I don't think it will happen anytime soon (you never know though) they see feedback and could add something someday. I will say one problem I see with family pooling is as people get older it could be a flight for those are my or your points and then the airline could end up involved which I don't think they want to be in the middle of a flight like that but I am sure they would happen. 

In the meantime you can always use your points to buy tickets for anyone though so if you fly SW enough you can redeem a ticket for anyone and points tickets can be 1,200 on cheap sale tickets. You can also transfer 2,000 points for $20.00 and $10 per thousand after the 2,000 point minimum. 

Blake 

Abobbi
Explorer C

Yes, thanks for your reply and feedback.

JB Family Pooling is rather sophisticated. It is optional, I had to sign up and agree to pool my points with my husband. I can request to "unpool” at any time, Points are “tagged” per person so that my points would be returned to my account. The Pooling allows us to purchase a ticket for which alone we would be shy of points, and purchasing or paying to gift points would not make ecomonic sense. Also the Pooling is really helpful for a family with children who might qualify for purchasing 1 flight using pooled points. Actually the JB Pooling Program has promoted people I know to fly JB instead of SW.