Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Highlighted

Fly once and get 7 weeks of Companion Pass promo

Active Member

https://www.southwest.com/companionpasspromo/

 

I'm posting this without comment because I'm not sure how I feel about this. Not that my opinion matters...

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted

Re: Fly once and get 7 weeks of Companion Pass promo

Top Contributor

It's a great promotion that won't impact current CP holders very much.

 

Why? Planes have been empty historically in January and February, and the virus means they'll be more empty than usual.

 

So if you are wondering whether the promotion will impact your travel, IMO it won't

Highlighted

Re: Fly once and get 7 weeks of Companion Pass promo

Active Member

My companion will have her own ticket for two months.   Some lucky couple will now get to travel for free. 

 

Probably the kids. 

Highlighted

Re: Fly once and get 7 weeks of Companion Pass promo

Top Contributor

@gsking wrote:

My companion will have her own ticket for two months.   Some lucky couple will now get to travel for free. 

 

Probably the kids. 


I signed up my daughter since I'll already have regular companion pass.

 

 

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.
Highlighted

Re: Fly once and get 7 weeks of Companion Pass promo

New Arrival

So just to be clear, we cannot actually book our companion's flight until 1/6 for travel that begins 1/6? I've read through the details & understand that we will receive an email within 10 days after 11/15 if we qualified. But, if I'm reading it correctly, we can't book our companion's flight for 1/6 -2/28, between the end of November (once we receive confirmation) and 1/6. If SW knows we qualify at the end of November, why can't we book our companion's flight then? If I want to travel 1/8 & take a companion, I can only book them 48 hours in advance?

 

Also, no mention of weather price has to be of equal value or less. If I book my companion's travel & it's more expensive than when I booked my travel (which it will be since it's so close to flying time), is that okay? 

 

Thoughts? I've asked these questions on SW's Facebook page, but not sure I'll get an answer. 

Highlighted

Re: Fly once and get 7 weeks of Companion Pass promo

Top Contributor

@SF31 wrote:

So just to be clear, we cannot actually book our companion's flight until 1/6 for travel that begins 1/6? I've read through the details & understand that we will receive an email within 10 days after 11/15 if we qualified. But, if I'm reading it correctly, we can't book our companion's flight for 1/6 -2/28, between the end of November (once we receive confirmation) and 1/6. If SW knows we qualify at the end of November, why can't we book our companion's flight then? If I want to travel 1/8 & take a companion, I can only book them 48 hours in advance?

 

Also, no mention of weather price has to be of equal value or less. If I book my companion's travel & it's more expensive than when I booked my travel (which it will be since it's so close to flying time), is that okay? 

 

Thoughts? I've asked these questions on SW's Facebook page, but not sure I'll get an answer. 


I'm not sure when you would be able to book the companion if you qualify. What I would do is book the companion on points if you have them and when your able to designate your companion you can cancel the points booking and book the companion. 

Highlighted

Re: Fly once and get 7 weeks of Companion Pass promo

Top Contributor

@SF31 wrote:

if I'm reading it correctly, we can't book our companion's flight for 1/6 -2/28, between the end of November (once we receive confirmation) and 1/6. If SW knows we qualify at the end of November, why can't we book our companion's flight then? If I want to travel 1/8 & take a companion, I can only book them 48 hours in advance?

While I can see coming to that conclusion based on a literal reading of the terms I suspect this is another case of Southwest's terms being unclear.  CP is probably granted shortly after completing the conditions of the promotion, allowing you to book for flights within the allowed dates.  But, that is just a guess.  Worst case scenario is Southwest didn't reprogram the Companion Pass status and it would be active as soon as it's given to you like it is when you earn the traditional CP so they do have to wait to issue it to you until January.  As flights are not typically selling out you should still be able to add a companion to the flight, but this is certainly not ideal.  Perhaps @AshleyMainz can get clarification for us?

 


@SF31 wrote:

Also, no mention of weather price has to be of equal value or less. If I book my companion's travel & it's more expensive than when I booked my travel (which it will be since it's so close to flying time), is that okay? 


Companion Pass allows you to book any available seat, regardless of price or even fare category (Wanna Get Away / Anytime).  If there's a seat your companion can have it.

 

--TheMiddleSeat

Highlighted

Re: Fly once and get 7 weeks of Companion Pass promo

Top Contributor

@SF31 wrote:

So just to be clear, we cannot actually book our companion's flight until 1/6 for travel that begins 1/6? I've read through the details & understand that we will receive an email within 10 days after 11/15 if we qualified. But, if I'm reading it correctly, we can't book our companion's flight for 1/6 -2/28, between the end of November (once we receive confirmation) and 1/6. If SW knows we qualify at the end of November, why can't we book our companion's flight then? If I want to travel 1/8 & take a companion, I can only book them 48 hours in advance?

 

Also, no mention of weather price has to be of equal value or less. If I book my companion's travel & it's more expensive than when I booked my travel (which it will be since it's so close to flying time), is that okay? 

 

Thoughts? I've asked these questions on SW's Facebook page, but not sure I'll get an answer. 


 

That does appear to be correct.

 

The FAQ says:

 

  • You'll receive an email from Southwest with confirmation of qualification no later than November 25, 2020.
  • Promotional Companion Pass will be awarded to your account on January 6, 2021. After which you can immediately designate your companion.
  • Anytime after your companion is designated on January 6, 2021, you can add the Companion booking to any existing Companion Pass holder's flights.

 

You can book the CP holder's flights anytime you'd like. But you'll only be able to add the Companion to those flights after January 6, 2021:

 

faq.png

 

As @bec102896 suggested earlier, you might consider booking the Companion's flight separately using points, which are fully refundable. Then after designating your Companion on January 6, 2021 reach out to Southwest and have them add the Companion to the CP holder's itinerary and cancel the points booking.

 

Hope this helps!

 

 

Highlighted

Re: Fly once and get 7 weeks of Companion Pass promo

New Arrival

Is there anyone that has done this and received an email that they purchased a qualifying flight? I bought my flight 9/23 for 11/5 and want to be sure I'm good to go. I received an email this morning stating in the subject line: you registered, book now to earn Promotional Companion Pass with one flight. 

Highlighted

Re: Fly once and get 7 weeks of Companion Pass promo

Top Contributor

@awilliamson wrote:

Is there anyone that has done this and received an email that they purchased a qualifying flight? I bought my flight 9/23 for 11/5 and want to be sure I'm good to go. I received an email this morning stating in the subject line: you registered, book now to earn Promotional Companion Pass with one flight. 


You won't get notification until after you actually qualify/earn CP, meaning you have registered AND completed the flights required.

 

--TheMiddleSeat