Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Freaking Disappointed! This New Companion Pass Offer Just Opened is not fair to new card holders!

ssabastro
Explorer C

I just applied for a Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card and was approved about 2-3 weeks ago.  After applying, I noticed that I would get way more benefits by switching or upgrading to the premiere or priority card.  But when I immediately called even before receiving the card, they told me I could NOT switch or upgrade, UGGGGG.  I am a loyal southwest traveler who travels often and I was finally committed to obtaining my companion pass by obtaining my 80,000 points to put toward my other points.  I literally spent over 13k on my new card with in the last week to make sure I receive my dam points and paid my balance off, Just to qualify, Im really close.   I was determine to finally reach 125000 points and get the 2 following years with the Companion Pass.  Everything was going on this new card to qualify!!!!

Then I read this on the Chase site 

2/28/2022 plus 30,000 points

Earn Companion Pass through 2/28/2022 + 30,000 points after you spend
$5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open.
Offer ends 3/10/2021. Promotional Companion Pass valid through 2/28/2022.

I was and still am soooooo angry, I think this is totally not fair!  As a new southwest Rapid Rewards Plus Credit Card Holder, Im sick, that this is not extended to individuals like me.  I just got my card, literally! I have literally have worked so hard to ensure they qualify in such a short period of time.  

Is there anything that can be done for card holders like myself?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: Freaking Disappointed! This New Companion Pass Offer Just Opened is not fair to new card holders

gsking
Aviator C

Yes, relax.   You actually got the better deal. 

You got 50,000 more free points,  worth about $800.  

You get a Companion pass for 12-23 months.   They get a pass for 2-12 months. 

The only difference is you have to spend up to $20,000 before you get your CP, or as little as $4000 in SW tickets or gift cards.   They have to spend $3000.

If you plan on using that CP, buying a few thousand dollars in SW tickets or gift cards should be easy..  Sounds like you're already there. 

And oh,  they just offered me 5000 pts to upgrade my card.   Not gonna do it.   It offers exactly zero benefits to anyone who's A-list.  Which it also sounds like you already are. 

So wait,  what exactly are you complaining about?  🤔

Re: Freaking Disappointed! This New Companion Pass Offer Just Opened is not fair to new card holders

bec102896
Aviator A

Credit card offers change all the time. Sorry if an offer you like better was released after you applied. 80,000 points is still a nice offer so hopefully you can put those points to good use. 

-Blake

SWFlyer007
Aviator C

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.  I thought that the credit cards and their rewards programs were controlled by the bank connected to the card, in this case, Chase Bank.  So SWA has little to do with how the reward points are structured and the promotions that are attached to them when they do roll out.  If I'm wrong, please let me know.