Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Re: Free Drink Coupons

franktravel
Rising Star

Hi

When you log into you account scroll down towards the bottom of the page and on the left side of the page in the blue box you will see the word travel.  Click on that, the page will open and in big black text you will see "TRAVEL"  look accross to the right you will see where it say EXTRAS, click on that then click on edit drink tickets.  You will only receive drink tickets after you fly 10 one ways. 

CJF
New Arrival

Seems a bit cumbersome. Almost as it SWA doesn't want  to give you the  "free" drinks.

Why not make it easy & place the info  on the 1st page? 

clifmom
New Arrival

The web site has changed and this is no longer a pathway to free drink coupons.

chgoflyer
Top Contributor

@clifmom wrote:

The web site has changed and this is no longer a pathway to free drink coupons.

Not really sure what you mean. You can still "opt in" to receive them, after each set of 10 paid one-way flights. On the website, that's under My Account > My Preferences > Travel > Extras (upper right hand corner).

Screen Shot 2017-07-04 at 9.22.27 PM.png

LindseyD
Retired Community Manager
Solution

Hello All, 

I haven't yet found any evidence that our system is not sending out Drink Coupon Books on schedule - which is after the completion of 10 one-way revenue flights. Here are a couple reminders about how they work:

• Flights that you took before turning 21 do not count
  • Flights that have been booked using Rapid Rewards Points or a Rapid Rewards Companion Pass do not count
  • Double check that the address listed in your Rapid Rewards Account is up-to-date

rkba49
New Arrival

A point of clarification from Lindsay would be helpful.  Does SWA send the coupons after ten revenue producing one ways regardless of time or is this during a one year period?

Calebjones19
New Arrival

I now understand why I haven’t received any drink coupons. Because I spend so much money on my southwest credit card for my business, I’m penalized for using points when I fly. It’s now clear to me that members get less and people who fly the least get the benefits of free drinks. That’s rediculous. 

TheMiddleSeat
Top Contributor

@Calebjones19 Flying for free is a penalty? Free flight vs free drink?.... Hmmm, I think I'll take the free flight.

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Top Contributor

Yeah, free flights > free drinks. 😉

This does remind me of back in the day, before Rapid Rewards changed to a revenue/points-based system. Back then you got 1 credit for each paid flight (anywhere, even short haul) and cardholders received 1 credit every $1000 (later $1200) spent on the credit card. 8 credits earned you a free flight (anywhere, even long haul) and also earned you a set of 4 drink coupons.

People amassed tons of drink coupons. All of which had no expiration date, but we know how that ended. 😞

Ah, the good old days.

More to your point: Southwest doesn't reward "the people who fly the least," they reward those who give them the most money. Points flights don't qualify for A-List either. Chase rewards those who spend the most money with them by giving them points. Chase also sends out drink coupons occasionally. It used to be every year, now it's on "milestone" anniversaries (5, 10, etc.)

dfwskier
Top Contributor

@Calebjones19 wrote:

I now understand why I haven’t received any drink coupons. Because I spend so much money on my southwest credit card for my business, I’m penalized for using points when I fly. It’s now clear to me that members get less and people who fly the least get the benefits of free drinks. That’s rediculous. 

The rules are pretty clear: take 10 paid flights and you'll get drink coupons. Those people that don't fly much don't benefit much eaither. Someone that takes two flights a year will have to wait 5 years to get any drink coupons.

Maybe you should take a few paid business trips.