Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Get credit card bonus points for free

azncarjunkie
Explorer C

It seems that they're calculating 'purchases' even if the 'purchase' was cancelled or returned (even within the same billing period).  The cancellation/return shows up as a credit rather than a negative against 'purchases'

So it appears you could purchase a large ticket item to hit your 3000/4000/5000 required 'purchase amount' and then cancel or return the order later and you'll still qualify for the card bonuses as the 'purchase' still hits the qualifying tier despite there being an offsetting 'credit' that shows in the 'credit/payment' category.

I'm rather peeved that my points posted early due to this absurdity.  Customer service has been flipflopping on if this is how it's intended so 'buyer beware' if this doesn't work for you. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Get credit card bonus points for free

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Just so it's clear, Chase makes these decisions, not Southwest. Also, I know OP didn't do this on purpose, but it's not suggested to attempt "tricking" Chase into giving bonus points by making a large purchase then returning, that could really ruin your hopes for future banking with Chase. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Re: Get credit card bonus points for free

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Just so it's clear, Chase makes these decisions, not Southwest. Also, I know OP didn't do this on purpose, but it's not suggested to attempt "tricking" Chase into giving bonus points by making a large purchase then returning, that could really ruin your hopes for future banking with Chase. 

--TheMiddleSeat

Chase certainly has the language in the terms to treat it as a net and rescind any points or status if they would choose to do so. 

We don't necessarily know the end of the story if the original poster has just had this happen, it could still be reversed if an audit catches it, or if the original poster doesn't end up earning the bonus anyway over the remaining time period it could be rescinded then.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.