Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

HELP! SW rep changed my email address to her own! Now SW dodging us!

Loops0404
Explorer C

We had several trips booked through SW.  My wife was finishing up booking flights online for 5 of us.   She clicked into her trips tab and noticed a one stop trip to Hawaii was missing 1st leg of trip. She called help desk.  Agent went to verify wife's email and it was wrong, weird one she's never had (reddragon-something).  Rep said she was opening a case in event of fraud. We found out it was the SW rep who changed the email address!! We were never notified of the flight change (no sweat, we caught it early and SW fixed that missing leg of trip). BUT, we found out SW had been emailing this wrong account trying to tell us we had points that were expiring (from canceled COVID trips).  We were never notified that they were approaching expiration because emails were getting sent to wrong email address, the email that the SW rep changed!  Now SW won't give us our miles / points back AND no one will tell us what happened with the rep who changed my wife's email.  We are at a loss right now, nowhere to turn.  Not sure if should get a lawyer or if this was anything criminal?  Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: HELP! SW rep changed my email address to her own! Now SW dodging us!

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

I want to believe you, but there's enough in here that doesn't make sense that I think this may all be bogus.  You claim, "We found out it was the SW rep who changed the email address!".  How did you determine this?

You also describe points that expired.  Southwest Rapid Rewards points do not expire and Southwest does not email notices about expiration because they do not expire.  Southwest also does not send out notices regarding expiring travel funds so even if you incorrectly said points instead of travel funds it still doesn't make sense.  So if this is legit and you had travel funds expire, that's 100% on you and unrelated to this email address change.

The best answer for something like this if the email address on your account needs to be revised is to send a message to Southwest using the contact us link at the bottom of the page and use the send a message option.

There is an option to convert expired travel funds to LUV vouchers, you have 6 months from expiration to request this and then have 6 months to use the vouchers.  Each expired travel fund is reduced in value by $100 in this process.  Use the same send a message option to request this.  Include confirmation numbers and passenger names for each of the expired travel funds.

--TheMiddleSeat

Loops0404
Explorer C

Southwest told us the email account was an employees.

I can assure you this is not bogus.  I have better things to do than try and swindle southwest for $195.  

I apologize for the semantics.  I believe what expired was a travel voucher.   

A southwest employee DID change my wife's email to her own and we were never notified of the travel voucher expiring (southwest did send a notification to the erroneous email account - per lady working on the case).

I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else.  Why would I lie?  To steal $195?  Thats insane.  Just seemed like shady business.

chgoflyer
Aviator A

Just FYI... Southwest does not send out any notices of expiring vouchers (or travel credits). It's up to the customer to track those. Vouchers clearly include the expiration date on them (if printed) or in the original email that contained the voucher. If you're actually meaning Travel Funds (credit from a self-cancelled or re-fared flight) then those amounts and expiration dates are shown in your online Rapid Rewards account. In general, these expire one year from the date the original booking was made.

Not arguing with you, just stating the facts regarding how things work.

Did you receive the $195 as a Voucher or was it Travel Funds? If it was a Voucher, then if expired it's now gone forever. If Travel Funds, you can recover $95 as noted in the earlier post above.

jksobonya
Aviator A

@Loops0404 wrote:

BUT, we found out SW had been emailing this wrong account trying to tell us we had points that were expiring (from canceled COVID trips).  

Southwest does not do this. 

--Jessica