Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Help - A-List or Save Money

Matt4202
Adventurer A

So I have a route I’ll be making 3-4 Roundtrip Flights this year. I like the concept of A-List, but I have TSA pre-check already so not sure how good it’d be for me exactly.

Anyway here’s where I’m torn and I’d like some input -

I could fly my route for $49 Cash Each Way or 2,700 points each way. So basically $98 or 5,400 points plus $11.20. Even if you subtract the $11.20 you’re getting a 1.5 cent per point valuation which is amazing. Paying the Cash Rate I would earn 2 Flight Credits toward A-List and 400 points if I’m not mistaken.

I would be flying with a Companion this year and next year so they wouldn’t earn A-List status though which the Standby Benefit not sure if that’d work with a Companion.

The 25% Bonus is okay, but since I usually earn less than 5,000 points per year through flights not a big bonus for me.

7 REPLIES 7

Re: Help - A-List or Save Money

bec102896
Aviator A

I enjoy the A List perks. Sure unfortunately the standby perk doesn't extend to others on your reservation I do enjoy the ability to move to an earlier flight when I'm on my own if seats are available. 

With boarding I enjoy getting the A boarding group or right after the As if I have a B or C boarding pass. Also a nice perk that southwest added is others on the A Listers reservation will be assigned boarding positions together unfortunately it doesn't extend to companions which are on separate confirmation numbers. 

With the qualifications being lower because of COVID-19 I would take advantage and earn the status then once you have the 15 paid flights (plus 10 southwest is adding) book remaining flights on points. you could use the A List as a trial and mid 2021 ask am I getting a good use out of the benefits and that should help you decide if you want to re achieve status for the following year(s) to come.

Also the bonus points I see it as every point counts as you never know when you might be tight on cash and need a last minute flight. 

Another benefit which has been great right now is the dedicated A List phone number. With the virus a lot of people are calling to change/cancel flights so hold times are crazy (1-3 hours) I had to call once to get a flight changed I waited 2 minutes to get to a representative. This is a great perk that people forget about during irregular operations (storms, airport closures, or now during the virus). Time is money I don't want to wait on hold for hours when I could wait a few minutes. 

-Blake

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Earn A-List if you can.  The point valuation is the same as it has been for some time and will most likely continue to be. There's not some great "sale" for flights paid with points so no need to rush to spend them.  After you earn A-List and if you aren't interested or able to earn A-List preferred then you can start burning the points you have earned.

--TheMiddleSeat

Matt4202
Adventurer A

From what I am seeing other $49 flights are 3,000 points, whereas this one is 2,700 points. The point difference is happening because the 2,700 point flight is going from Airport 1 to Airport 2 then to Airport 3 resulting in (2) $4.50 Passenger Facility Charges totaling $9. While the 3,000 flight is only going from Airport 1 to Airport 2. Which on Points bookings the points cover those fees.

The difference is 600 points per Roundtrip flight x 4 Roundtrip flights = 2,400 points.

Just to get that back in the 25% A-List Bonus you’d have to earn 10,000 points.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

If you only look at A-List for the point bonus then sure, there's not a lot of value. It's called A-List for its number one benefit of providing an A boarding position. If that doesn't matter to you then go ahead and burn points. You asked for opinions, you got two from frequent flyers who have or have had A-List that without a doubt suggest you earn A-List if you can.

--TheMiddleSeat

Matt4202
Adventurer A

As far as the A-List Boarding position we have a toddler with us so we board with family boarding which is about the same time as A-List boarding.

Also, a Companion can’t board at the same time as an A-lister which doesn’t make much sense if they allow others on the same reservation to board.

Then the standby benefit wouldn’t apply either as we always fly with 2-3 people.

So the only benefits I can truly look at are the 25% bonus and the phone line.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Ok, seems like your mind was made up before you even posted, why bother asking for opinions then? Based on this and your question about alcohol it appears you just want to argue.

Safe travels, 

--TheMiddleSeat

DancingDavidE
Aviator A

@Matt4202 wrote:

As far as the A-List Boarding position we have a toddler with us so we board with family boarding which is about the same time as A-List boarding.

Also, a Companion can’t board at the same time as an A-lister which doesn’t make much sense if they allow others on the same reservation to board.

Then the standby benefit wouldn’t apply either as we always fly with 2-3 people.

So the only benefits I can truly look at are the 25% bonus and the phone line.

Always with 2-3 people? I often fly with my family and we use family boarding, or sometimes I take the lap child and board at my A position and my wife follows up with the toddler. 

There is also some unadvertised LUV that you may get from time to time - i.e. standby doesn't apply to the companion, but maybe it can slide sometimes, or other "thanks for being A-list" courtesies you may ask for along the way.

Remember the bonus applies to companion now too since you are getting two tickets for the points of one ticket.

10,000 points seems low though, but of course with the current pricing out there the points will be less - spend less, earn less. If "regular" pricing returns then you'll be earning at a higher rate. 

Dedicated phone line very valuable. Fly-By still valuable if you check in at the desk with a special line, even if you (as many of us do) use TSA Pre. 

Life is good on the A-list although some of the benefits are muted for you it may still be nice, plus if your travel arrangements change and you fly solo more in the coming year it will really pay off.

Home airport MDW, frequent visitor to MCO to see the mouse.