Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Help! Changing RR number

jennbeck15
Explorer C

My husband has a card that was linked to my Southwest rapid rewards number which I was an authorized user on that card. I recently just applied and got my own card and when I registered my new card account online the rapid rewards number automatically linked over. It’s my understanding that two personal cards cannot go into the same rapid rewards account. How do I get a new rapid rewards number for my new account and unlink the existing one because I Don’t want to cause any issues with misuse. Does anyone know? I called Southwest and they said that his card was already linked so I must be the primary holder which I am not, and then she basically just told me to call Chase and figure it out. HELP!

10 REPLIES 10

Re: Help! Changing RR number

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Sounds like you should get the card which your husband is the primary card holder to point to his RR account and leave your new card linked to your account.  As Southwest said, any of these changes would have to be done by calling Chase.

--TheMiddleSeat

jennbeck15
Explorer C

My husband doesn’t have a RR account. When he got his card we just linked it to my RR number since it was the only one we had. I’m the flyer, not him. Chase referred me to SW. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Sounds like your husband should get his own RR account and then contact Chase to point his card to that account.  He can use the points from his account to purchase flights for you or anyone else.  You're just trying to overly complicate things and create more trouble trying to have two RR accounts for yourself.  I don't even think that would be possible.

--TheMiddleSeat

dfwskier
Aviator A

What themiddleseat suggests is correct.

Besides southwest will not allow one person to have two RR numbers.

jennbeck15
Explorer C

That makes sense. Then do you know how I would link his card to it? Because it seems as if they’ve already got his card linked to my account. (And have since he’s had it) 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

That would be up to Chase. I fear they won't be willing to change it and would require the account be closed and then reopened with the new RR account number, but hopefully I'm wrong.

I'd suggest calling Chase and explain that the RR account number changed and you need to update your card to point to the new RR account. No need to get into the details of it originally being your RR account and moving to your husband's RR account.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

--TheMiddleSeat

jennbeck15
Explorer C

I appreciate your help! Thank you!

jennbeck15
Explorer C

Did what you suggested. Which a appreciate by the way. Got him his own RR number and contacted chase to link his card to that number. The rep stated she sent a request to SW to have the points in MY account transfer to his new RR number which I actually didn’t request but I guess she assumed that’s what we wanted. It doesn’t really matter which account they’re in since we do most of our travel together. I just don’t want the points to get lost in the shuffle somewhere. 

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

Hmm, the bit about transferring points from one account to another seems unnecessary and potentially problematic.  Otherwise, I'm glad they were able to change the RR account number without it being a much bigger hassle.  Hopefully whatever they are requesting goes smoothly.  Thanks for the update.

--TheMiddleSeat