Skip to main content

Southwest Airlines Community

Help with Companion Pass

jsteinker
Explorer C

Hi Everyone, 

I got the RR credit card and I've qualified for the companion pass. My pass it good thru 2/22/21. I am close to having the qualifying points for the companion pass again. When I qualify, probably in June, what will that extend the pass through? I'm thinking it's the end of 2022. 

2nd question, can I use Southwest points to book a hotel? Do they work with the Hilton brand? Is there a trick to stacking points? 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Help with Companion Pass

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A
Solution

Yes, a traditional (non-promotional) Companion Pass earned the old fashioned way today would expire Dec 31, 2022.  Pre-pandemic you could use the More Rewards program to redeem Southwest points for hotels, but that is not currently available.

--TheMiddleSeat

jsteinker
Explorer C

Thank you! I had a feeling since that page errors out as a 400 error when I try to connect from the credit card. They should really replace that dead page with something that has a bit more info. Appreciate the info! 

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

Yes, a traditional (non-promotional) Companion Pass earned the old fashioned way today would expire Dec 31, 2022.  Pre-pandemic you could use the More Rewards program to redeem Southwest points for hotels, but that is not currently available.

--TheMiddleSeat

Actually this is incorrect. More Rewards is still available, but is now limited to only RR members who also have a Chase RR credit card.

Getting to More Rewards is a bit hidden now. Here's how I do it: Make sure you're logged into your RR account on the Southwest website, then navigate to Rapid Rewards>Tier Benefits. On that Tiers & More page, click on the heading How To Redeem. Click on Redeem for More Rewards, then click on Explore Rewards.

This link should also take you there -- just be sure that you're recently logged into your RR account on the Southwest site first.

That said -- point redemptions through More Rewards are generally a very bad value, compared with redeeming for flights on Southwest.

TheMiddleSeat
Aviator A

@chgoflyer Don't know why I was getting this message off the same link earlier:

"Due to circumstances resulting from COVID-19, we have temporarily paused the ability to redeem points in More Rewards. We are sorry for the inconvenience and hope to resume normal operations soon. Thank you for your patience and grace during this time."

The link you shared does seem to work.

--TheMiddleSeat

chgoflyer
Aviator A

@TheMiddleSeat wrote:

@chgoflyer Don't know why I was getting this message off the same link earlier:

"Due to circumstances resulting from COVID-19, we have temporarily paused the ability to redeem points in More Rewards. We are sorry for the inconvenience and hope to resume normal operations soon. Thank you for your patience and grace during this time."

The link you shared does seem to work.

--TheMiddleSeat

It can be iffy. It needs the data link from your RR account and that doesn't always translate over.

Kind of like still receiving that annoying "Oops!" message (Oops! "Your session has expired. Click here to book travel or go back to the homepage").

I always make sure I log out and then log back in to the Southwest site every time I visit. It seems it *looks* like you're logged in, but it has actually timed out, and then when you try to do anything that requires you to be logged in, it generates an error. A fresh log in seems to avoid that problem.